Dental school right choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimfan123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is dental school really that challenging? I'm a pre-dental/pre-pharm student and I'm looking at the pros and cons of each, and I keep hearing people say that dental school is ridiculously hard. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. That is why they look at your college grades. If you can excel in college, then you can succeed in dental school. And as long as you enjoy working with your hands. No, really, you need to enjoy working with your hands. Dentists do it every hour, every day.

Thats not to say Pharm is not not tough. They still have to study a ton of information, and use ochem and biochem a lot more than we do. That is a ton of memorization.

dentistry is your career...
Almost everytime is surgery...
not just prescription...that would be boring as hell...
unless for pharm u do research

Members don't see this ad :)
Is dental school really that challenging? I'm a pre-dental/pre-pharm student and I'm looking at the pros and cons of each, and I keep hearing people say that dental school is ridiculously hard. What do you all think?

if you are a hellava time manager, dental school becomes very doable. dental school, like medical school, is conceptually unchallenging. nothing is truely cerebral; it's the volume of material you have to cover that makes it a nightmare and a time management crisis.

you must also know if you can look into small spaces for an extended amount of time without going crazy. a lot of dentists i talked to commented that a lot of people cant handle that aspect of dentistry. the mouth is really small the the increments you work with are in mm. thats enough to drive people insane. basically, just know yourself. if you can handle working with your hands, etc and you can picture yourself enjoying this profession then do it. personally, i see myself enjoying dentistry a lot more than pharmacy.

I think u should be a street pharmacist, my friend tells me there is a lot of money to b made in dat field, personally i like to play with my hands and i get and give:laugh: a lot of jobs with my hands

if you are a hellava time manager, dental school becomes very doable. dental school, like medical school, is conceptually unchallenging. nothing is truely cerebral; it's the volume of material you have to cover that makes it a nightmare and a time management crisis.

Precisely. And I strongly believe any student, whether traditional/non-traditional, 4.0/3.0, etc, can master the program well for as long as you're committed to it...