Dental school specialties and research

Started by 2thDoc11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2thDoc11

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when it comes to applying for specialties, do they only care about what you did during dental school? I saw somewhere that that you can use shadowing prior to dental school when speaking about your desire for a specific specialty.. I’m more curious about research. i have about 2-3 years of research experience prior to school although it’s in exercise physiology.. just curious if I can carry that into my future resumé or if it’s pretty much obsolete at this point?
 
I think you can bring it up. Its not quite as important though - ideally you would continue into doing some sort of research in dental school.

You can definitely talk about it though - they will see it as you have been involved in research for many years and are likely to continue doing so, which is theoretically the point in advancing the field as practitioners.
 
I think you can bring it up. Its not quite as important though - ideally you would continue into doing some sort of research in dental school.

You can definitely talk about it though - they will see it as you have been involved in research for many years and are likely to continue doing so, which is theoretically the point in advancing the field as practitioners.
Sounds good! It was with the USDA too so it’s wasn’t just some rinky dink research project.. still planning on continuing research but good to know that it’s something to build on