Dental School: Tablet vs. Laptop vs. Desktop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalPolyDentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gang,

It's been a few months since anyone's posted about this topic elsewhere. So I'm a bit curious about your opinions: I'm assuming Desktop is out of the question, but maybe someone has an interesting take on it.

I currently have a Macbook Pro (from 2009). I used it throughout college, and recently replaced a broken hard drive with a Solid State Drive (SO nice and fast!). But I'm starting to fall into the tablet hype for many reasons, including easy and efficient note-taking. This begs the question: iPad, iPad Mini, Microsoft Surface, or some other tablet?

Any opinions welcome with facts about why this or that device. I know I like the Apple interface (I'm lucky enough to also own an iPhone 4), so that's what I'm most familiar with, but not opposed to learning something new if it is amazing.

From what I've read elsewhere, here is what my "current" opinion is as I'm posting this: Apple iPad Mini is the way to go because, although the weight difference is only ~0.65-0.76 pounds (but about 50% weight difference - making it noticeable). This is from what I've read on other doctor/clinic forums, and the weight difference was pretty heavily noted as the deciding factor. But I know virtually nothing of Google tablets, or the Surface.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why not all three? https://www.asus.com/AllinOne_PCs/ASUS_Transformer_AiO_P1801/

On a serious note, I'm an advocate of using a graphics tablet in conjunction with a laptop for note taking. There is nothing that can be the accuracy for note taking. Personally, I found the digitizers and touch screens in tablets disappointing and difficult to use quickly.

I had a laptop throughout all four years of dental school and resisted the temptation to get a tablet. A laptop is great for portability and mobility but once third and four year hits, I barely used my laptop (and desktop which I had since 2nd year).

While I've seen colleagues carrying around tablets, a smartphone suffices. I say save your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what you want to use it for. I own an iPad and was really disappointed with note taking. If I were to buy another one it would buy a Samsung tablet, but it sounds like you already have your heart set on another apple product. I wouldn't recommend one for someone using it for school purposes.

go to amazon. While I've seen colleagues carrying around tablets, a smartphone suffices. I say save your money.
22.gif

Tablets are fun but they turn out to be impractical unless you do something that directly needs it.

Couple options:

You can buy a Nexus 7 for super cheap if you MUST have a tablet, and a good one at that.

You can get a convertible/touchscreen/Win8 laptop.

I have a fire breathing multi-monitor gaming rig because it's so nice to use compared to a laptop. For instance, I have a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches, which makes typing a breeze and fun. I have a ThinkPad laptop which is lightweight, small, and does the job for school away from my PC. I then have a cheapo Nexus 7 and my Galaxy Nexus (Android Fanboy reporting in) for everything else.

For example, I am considering a convertible like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDZvNrpoVY[/YOUTUBE]

For example, I am considering a convertible like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDZvNrpoVY[/YOUTUBE]

If you're planning on getting the helix, wait until it starts to make models with haswell chips instead of ivybridge (google if you don't know what those are).

Alternatively, wait for the asus transformer book trio. This thing is a laptop/tablet convertible that has both windows 8 and android OS, windows in the keyboard, android in the tablet. And it will have haswell.

If you're planning on getting the helix, wait until it starts to make models with haswell chips instead of ivybridge (google if you don't know what those are).

Alternatively, wait for the asus transformer book trio. This thing is a laptop/tablet convertible that has both windows 8 and android OS, windows in the keyboard, android in the tablet. And it will have haswell.
If you are starting your D1, Find out if your school is making you buy a laptop from a partner. At Howard there has always been a mandatory laptop/tablet hybrid from lenovo. each year's latest model seems to be the pick. This year, the Helix is the rumored model for the in coming D1s. Don't make my mistake of flopping down 1.5k on a laptop only being told 1.4k of my D1 tuition has been put aside for a laptop.

If you are starting your D1, Find out if your school is making you buy a laptop from a partner. At Howard there has always been a mandatory laptop/tablet hybrid from lenovo. each year's latest model seems to be the pick. This year, the Helix is the rumored model for the in coming D1s. Don't make my mistake of flopping down 1.5k on a laptop only being told 1.4k of my D1 tuition has been put aside for a laptop.

Yes. I don't agree with it, but mine was included in tuition as well. Also, look into the format of lectures. After D1, I'm positive a tablet/iPad would have suited me much better, specifically for basic science lectures.

Yeah I am aware of the new gen of processors not being in the laptop. I looked at the differences for desktops because I am in the progress of upgrading my rig. Looks like it's not worth it and I'll be slapping an ivy in there. Would be worth waiting for in the laptop though.

At my school they count in for the laptop on my tuition estimate breakdown stuff, but they never charge you for it, you can bring whatever device you want; or buy one from the school.

Last edited:
So, I am wondering if dental school still provide loaner laptop that we can check out for weeks/months at a time? Do they still have computer lab that open with easy access?

I am thinking of selling my selling personal assets like computers for all the expenses that comes with application cost.

So, I am wondering if dental school still provide loaner laptop that we can check out for weeks/months at a time? Do they still have computer lab that open with easy access?

I am thinking of selling my selling personal assets like computers for all the expenses that comes with application cost.

This plan seems very short sighted.

His posts continue to be laughable.

His one about paying off his debt in a foreign currency has been the best so far.

hah, seriously, we only need one laptop and backup everything on the cloud.
one can work from the cloud using school computers.
sell the extra computers that is going to be outdated anyway in a couple of years. :thumbup: