Dental school year close-knit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theragu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im curious how close-knit the "year" or class each year is. I know there are only average 80-120 dental school students per year in most universities, so Im just wondering..
Do most people know everyone?
Is it easy to make friends?
Do you take the same classes at the same time with the same people?
Do other years also have close interaction with other incoming classes?

I ask because, frankly, it's hard for me to make friends, largely because Im shy (esp. at a large university), and Im looking forward to a smaller group to make good friends for life with.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At Pitt we're a pretty close knit group, everybody really knows most everybody else in our class, and we're all pretty friendly. Sure, there's always groups of people who hang out mostly with other people, but that's just natural. It's very easy to make friends, at most schools, you'll be taking the same classes with the same people every day, so you're more or less forced to make friends with the people you sit near at least. At Pitt we've got a Big/Little program where every incoming first year is paired with a second year, so you've already got someone there, and otherwise, all of the upperclassmen are just about always happy to help and are pretty nice.

I'm sure you'll do just fine, no worries!

All of what Vicviper said above holds true for Tufts, and probably many if not most schools. You'll find your niche.