Dental School

Started by Alex9121
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alex9121

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying to dental school this cycle (maybe?)

3.3 GPA
3.1 sGPA

22 Bio
21 Gen Chem
23 O Chem
PAT 18
QR 17
RC 22
21 AA

I want to make sure that I can have a good chance at getting into a school, and one in particular, but I'm not very confident in my GPA obviously. I've been accepted into a 1 year Master's that would end before the school year begins.

My question is, would you apply with the Master's underway or would you hold off and complete the Master's before applying? Additionally, I'll be taking a 3 classes during the summer for the Master's program, my idea was to complete the courses and then submit the application at the end of June.
 
Applying to dental school this cycle (maybe?)

3.3 GPA
3.1 sGPA

22 Bio
21 Gen Chem
23 O Chem
PAT 18
QR 17
RC 22
21 AA

I want to make sure that I can have a good chance at getting into a school, and one in particular, but I'm not very confident in my GPA obviously. I've been accepted into a 1 year Master's that would end before the school year begins.

My question is, would you apply with the Master's underway or would you hold off and complete the Master's before applying? Additionally, I'll be taking a 3 classes during the summer for the Master's program, my idea was to complete the courses and then submit the application at the end of June.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t apply. People have gotten in with less and if you can spare the money I think it’s in your best interest to give it a shot


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
You could. I agree the sGPA is pretty low and schools may wait until they see an academic update with more grades reported. But your DAT is okay (PAT is a tad low) that you could be in contention. Is there a dental school associated with the master's program you're attending?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could. I agree the sGPA is pretty low and schools may wait until they see an academic update with more grades reported. But your DAT is okay (PAT is a tad low) that you could be in contention. Is there a dental school associated with the master's program you're attending?
Unfortunately, no they do not have a dental school. I was wondering if it was worth holding off on submitting the application until the summer semester is over and those classes can help me make my claim to dental school that much stronger? What do you think?
 
Unfortunately, no they do not have a dental school. I was wondering if it was worth holding off on submitting the application until the summer semester is over and those classes can help me make my claim to dental school that much stronger? What do you think?
Here's the problem. If I were screening your application early, I'd wait until I'd see your first term of master's coursework. If you apply late, we may fill most of our first-round interview spots by the time we see your verified application (late is September or afterwards). I generally suggest waiting until next cycle anyway, unless you have a linkage for acceptance through your SMP, which you'd be interviewed relatively late anyway. What also may complicate things is the grading: if you are doing this online, are they going to grade you Pass/Fail or with regular grading? P/F won't help you at all, and you have to have A's after at least 1 term. So I would suggest waiting until you have grades from your master's program first before applying.