Dental shadowing opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USDentist2be

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I find dental shadowing/observing opportunities ? Is it just a case of networking/contacting as many dental offices as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

How can I find dental shadowing/observing opportunities ? Is it just a case of networking/contacting as many dental offices as possible.
Have you tried the SDN activity finder yet? Just asking for feedback. Otherwise, networking is an important step to getting this experience.

I had zero connections to dentistry. I called about 10 offices until someone gave me a chance. I noticed that calls definitely will generate a response better than a random email. Ask to speak to the office manager, tell them you're pre-dental and if Dr. Soandso has had shadowing students before. Offer to email a CV with a compelling intro on why you're interested in dentistry. And if they ask when you'd like to come in, say "this week!" otherwise they'll probably forget about it. Once I shadowed there, not only were they willing to have me come back, they also put me in touch with other dentists. And then boom you have a dental network. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start with your family dentist and ask them if you can shadow for a couple days. Calling or going in person works best, dress well and have a resume ready just in case. Although most offices won't ask for one. You should be able to find one relatively quick.

Reactions: 1 user