Dental speak for the interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was suggested by a number of sources that you should sound like you know what your talking about at dental school interviews. Having experience is one thing but learning from that experience is another. So let's start a thread about basic things you can say that won't necessarily make you sound super smart -- but will at least keep you from sounding super stupid!

I'll start:

It's a handpiece, NOT a drill.

Mack

Members don't see this ad.

Here's one...

There is a difference between an "office" and a "clinic" Clinics are larger and often government subsidied or grant funded. Offices are those 1-3 (or so) dental offices usually privately owned. I can't stand when people say they were at the clinic when they mean Dr. ___'s office.

Members don't see this ad :)
armorshell said:
Seems to me like trying to 'fake' knowing what you're talking about could get you into a lot of trouble

Agreed. Which is why the point of this thread is to throw out some terms that could help keep you from getting into trouble. I'm not suggesting you walk in, sit down, and start running your mouth about stuff you don't know about. But if you're discussing your experience and refer to a high-speed as a "fast drill" you're going to get frowns from the other side of the table... This should be a nice concise review for most people anyway...

You work with instruments... not tools.

Mack

djeffreyt said:
Here's one...

There is a difference between an "office" and a "clinic" Clinics are larger and often government subsidied or grant funded. Offices are those 1-3 (or so) dental offices usually privately owned. I can't stand when people say they were at the clinic when they mean Dr. ___'s office.

whoa, there's a difference? I've been using the two terms interchangeably. oh well...

Mackchops said:
Agreed. Which is why the point of this thread is to throw out some terms that could help keep you from getting into trouble. I'm not suggesting you walk in, sit down, and start running your mouth about stuff you don't know about. But if you're discussing your experience and refer to a high-speed as a "fast drill" you're going to get frowns from the other side of the table... This should be a nice concise review for most people anyway...

Mack

I disagree...in dental school you're going to have learn how to work with alot of tools. Fortunately, they'll move away after school and you can avoid them.

Mackchops said:

Mack
Oh, in that case it's not a "periodontist", it's a "hygienist"

You didn't "accidently prep the wrong tooth", you "notice it was cracked and repaired it"

and for some actual useful information...

It's a "restoration", not a "filling"

armorshell said:
It's a "restoration", not a "filling"

Actually, the word "restoration" can be lots of things (Class I, amalgam, porcelain, inlays, onlays, crowns, etc.) It is not a substitute for filling.

My advice to people wanting to learn some dental terminology, or wanting to get some info on current dental issues... is to do 3 things:

1) dont listen to all the things written on SDN because sometimes it can be quite wrong.
2) contact the ADA and ask them to send some informative packets on various dental subject material - they have pamphlets on just about everything... tooth eruption charts, NO2, Sealants, x-rays, amalgam info., whatever! I have probably a closet full of pamphlets that I have looked through and studied and I really feel confident in my knowledge of dentistry (at least what I have the ability to know at this stage- prior to dental school)
3) shadow different dental offices and pay attention to the procedures done. Ask a lot of questions and show your interest. You will get a lot out of it. If you havent shadowed before, then do it NOW. There is nothing easier than finding someone to shadow... I dont care what anyone says. If the first 3 offices dont need you, you keep trying until the 20th says "ok"

Back to the subject...When you go to your interview for dental school, be honest and be yourself. They will know in 5 minutes whether or not you have actually studied and have shown interest in the field. Yeah, it would be great if you knew what kinds of procedures are done in each specialty, and maybe even knowing the tooth numbering system... but honestly, they wont expect more than that from you.

The most difficult question they might ask is "What do you consider to be a major problem/concern currently in dentistry."

Questions like that can only be answered honestly. So, just be yourself... and if yourself isn't good enough for them, then oh well ... their loss!

By the way, HermeytheElf ..... that comment was hilarious!