Dental Trip abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primerdimer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who did a dental trip abroad could you please tell me which program you went through and how you liked it. I'm thinking of doing one in the future and was looking into which one of the best organization to go with.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a couple people in my pre-dental society that went through International Service Learning (islonline.org)...they do different health-type missions (dental, medical, etc) and go to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, and some others...I haven't done it myself, so I don't have much other info- the website is helpful though.

The one I went with is kindness in action and are out of Canada. They go all over the world I believe. I went to mexico with them and really enjoyed the experience. There should be at least a dozen groups out there though because I know that my parents went to China with a group out of Salt Lake last year, and loved it. I don't think that who you go with matters as much as going with the attitute to give from the experience and not just do it to gain points for dental school. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did one to Nicaragua with International Service Learning (see above). I LOVED it! We did a lot of teeth cleanings, but by the end of the week, the dentist was letting us give injections, and do extractions (with his help of course). i would highly recommend it!

I did one to Nicaragua with International Service Learning (see above). I LOVED it! We did a lot of teeth cleanings, but by the end of the week, the dentist was letting us give injections, and do extractions (with his help of course). i would highly recommend it!

I'm going to do one in Costa Rica with International Service Learning as well this coming february with my school. my friends did it last year and loved it

I was actually thinking about doing the ISL program, but it's so expensive! :(

I went through VIDA (vidavolunteertravel.org). It was amazing!!! They do trips all over central america and you can go for 2 weeks or 8 days. I have gone for 8 days, to costa rica. I am going again in January for 2 weeks, to Nicaragua and Costa Rica. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! They have plenty of clinic days with TONS of dentistry to do. I was doing injections and extractions the first day (supervised and trained by costa rican dentist). PLUS, if you have the time, there are opportunities to organize a trip and go on your second trip for free! Awesome organization!!! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions! :D

are you serious, you have injections and extracted teeth as pre-dental student?:scared: