Dentist Anesthesiologist earning/salary potential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelazyvaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Could not find consistent or seemingly accurate information on potential earnings/salary for DA's. I would be grateful if any of y'all could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love when this question comes up, because answer is: there’s so many locations, so many ways to practice. If you want a ballpark, I’ve seen 200k - 1 million per year. Depends how hard you want to work, how many hours a day. If you are in an area that is it need for a DA then some of them pull 10 hour days during the week and take home a lot. Also depends if you associate or own your own practice etc. That’s why it’s so hard to give a good number. Also depends your overhead, if you hire a nurse etc. At the end of the day all the DAs I know are doing really great.

Reactions: 2 users
Love when this question comes up, because answer is: there’s so many locations, so many ways to practice. If you want a ballpark, I’ve seen 200k - 1 million per year. Depends how hard you want to work, how many hours a day. If you are in an area that is it need for a DA then some of them pull 10 hour days during the week and take home a lot. Also depends if you associate or own your own practice etc. That’s why it’s so hard to give a good number. Also depends your overhead, if you hire a nurse etc. At the end of the day all the DAs I know are doing really great.
Thank you for the response and insight!

Reactions: 1 user
My concern would be case availability
From what I can gather and the DA's I have talked to, there doesn't seem to be any that hate the gig. However, I agree with you, It seems like DA's have to rely on cases in the area and I imagine that's not easy to accrue.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I can gather and the DA's I have talked to, there doesn't seem to be any that hate the gig. However, I agree with you, It seems like DA's have to rely on cases in the area and I imagine that's not easy to accrue.

I’m currently booked out about 5 months now. I have my own mobile practice and it took me maybe 2 years of networking to get to that point. It does take effort especially at the beginning, but interestingly, starting a mobile anesthesia practice is extremely cheap. The need for anesthesia is constantly increasing as it parallels with the increasing anxiety and comorbities that our patients have, as well as patients who do not wish to wait for and pay for hospital care. There are many patient subsets who can not tolerate dental treatment awake. You are looking at pretty much every pediatric office, OMFS offices, patients with developmental delays, anxiety, and patients with niche medical conditions and anatomy where local anesthesia alone is ineffective. If you are interested in dental anesthesiology the best thing you can do is go shadow.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m currently booked out about 5 months now. I have my own mobile practice and it took me maybe 2 years of networking to get to that point. It does take effort especially at the beginning, but interestingly, starting a mobile anesthesia practice is extremely cheap. The need for anesthesia is constantly increasing as it parallels with the increasing anxiety and comorbities that our patients have, as well as patients who do not wish to wait for and pay for hospital care. There are many patient subsets who can not tolerate dental treatment awake. You are looking at pretty much every pediatric office, OMFS offices, patients with developmental delays, anxiety, and patients with niche medical conditions and anatomy where local anesthesia alone is ineffective. If you are interested in dental anesthesiology the best thing you can do is go shadow.
Thank you for the reply. I am super interested in DA, and can not wait to dive in and learn more about it. It seems to be the specialty I am far and above the most interested in.