Dentist thinking of Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentMed2010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I'm a practicing dentist and have been thinking about going back to medical school ever since the 3rd year of dental school. I knew I made a poor decision but was too late to drop out so I finished dental school and started practicing so I could pay back my loans. Now several years later I've managed to pay back all student loans and have paid off my practice loan as well. But now the desire to go back to Med school is stronger than ever. Reason being I felt so at ease studying neurology and different systems of the the body OTHER than teeth. Even though I practice conservatively and get compliments from my patients, I feel unfulfilled. Another reason is management headaches of private practice. I constantly feel I could be a better health care provider if I was working with a large organization. Going back to Associateship is not an option since there are many many problems with corporate dentistry.

Anyone who went to medical school after practicing dentistry, please advise. I'm really feeling burnt out with this unfulfilling career choice, and I'm not sure where to turn.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Anyone who went to med school after dental school? How many of those do you think there are (here come the flames by those that have), you're welcome.

I would stick with dentistry and perhaps specialize instead. But that's what I would do in your position. Follow your heart.

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
I know DMDs who did an OMS fellowship that included a truncated MD program. I think 3 years instead of 4. I don't know how long the whole program is though. But you could in theory do a non dental related residency after you completed the fellowship.

Also the fellowships incorporate a lot of ENT and ONC surgery.

I know DMDs who did an OMS fellowship that included a truncated MD program. I think 3 years instead of 4. I don't know how long the whole program is though. But you could in theory do a non dental related residency after you completed the fellowship.

Also the fellowships incorporate a lot of ENT and ONC surgery.

I’ve researched this route extensively and it’s not feasible. If I were to go into medicine I would like to keep my options open to be able to specialize or stay in primary care. With OMS you really are limited to head and neck still and mostly to the oral cavity.
I really wish there was a medical school program where they would take advanced standing students.
I was wondering if a petition could be made to certain medical schools if there are enough interested students.

I was wondering if a petition could be made to certain medical schools if there are enough interested students.
LCME expectations for the evaluation of candidates for advanced standing make this a burdensome proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please elaborate. I would appreciate your reply.
LCME Standard 10.7:

"10.7 Transfer Students

A medical school ensures that any student accepted for transfer or admission with advanced standing demonstrates academic achievements, completion of relevant prior coursework, and other relevant characteristics comparable to those of the medical students in the class that he or she would join. A medical school accepts a transfer medical student into the final year of a medical education program only in rare and extraordinary personal or educational circumstances." (italics, mine).

It turns out to be rather a challenge to demonstrate that students considered for advanced standing are, indeed comparable to the ones we have already accepted. They often don't have similar gpa, MCAT, experiences or personal characteristics and trying to prove equivalence can be quite difficult.