Dentistry After Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolmoe_33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here know anybody who went dental school after getting a Pharm.D. Do you have a better or worse chance of getting in with a pharm.d due to a conflict of interest.

Members don't see this ad.

coolmoe_33 said:
Anyone on here know anybody who went dental school after getting a Pharm.D. Do you have a better or worse chance of getting in with a pharm.d due to a conflict of interest.

Why not just go to Dental School in the first place? It seems like a lot of debt to accumulate, to get out of school and pretty much make the same money as you would if you would have just done pharmacy.

Overall, I think it can help and hurt. I think any medical experience prior to entering a medical professional program is a positive thing. And one can certainly assume that if you made it through Pharm school, then you have the skills and dedication it takes to get through Dental school. However, you need to have a very good reason to give your interviewer about why you decided to switch careers so soon. I think someone who has been finished with pharm school and worked as a pharmacist for a few years has a better chance of getting in than someone fresh out of pharm school. If you are so quick to change your mind about whether or not you want to do pharmacy, what is there to stop you from doing the same thing once you finish dental school. Why should they give you the spot when they can fill it with someone who knows for sure what they want to do.

Just some stuff to think about, I hope this helps...good luck!

Dentistry is tricky. Many associates actually do not make much money at all considering the very hefty debt that dental school accrues. If you read the dental board, some people who graduate from NYU and USC have $300,000 in debt!

Why would you want to do that after having between $60K to 120k in debt with a pharmD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anybody do that?

I know a number of people who have done that - two in my husband's class had PharmD's first. Funny - one went on after that to orthodontics - an extra two years!

Just different interest areas.....

coolmoe_33 said:

It would only make sense to go into dentistry after getting your PharmD if you are already currently a Pharmacy student. Otherwise it would be completely pointless and a waste of time and money. If you're not currently a pharmacy student and you think you'd be more satisfied as a Dentist, then apply to Dental school! It's as simple as that, trying to do both is idiocy.

BiOGoly said:
It would only make sense to go into dentistry after getting your PharmD if you are already currently a Pharmacy student. Otherwise it would be completely pointless and a waste of time and money. If you're not currently a pharmacy student and you think you'd be more satisfied as a Dentist, then apply to Dental school! It's as simple as that, trying to do both is idiocy.
TOO MUCH DEBT, work and pay off your PharmD loans, then consider other fields. Funny because my best friend is finishing up her pedo residency in dentistry and is 250K in debt and has a 350K offer on the table and she calls me depressed because she thinks medicine is for her and she wants to quite her program, take the MCAT and apply to med school. :scared: She asked for my advice, and I told her WORK WITH YOUR DEGREE FIRST before you decide it is not for you, pay off as much debt as you can, then explore medicine if that is what you want. Do not be a degree collecter, it will end you up in bankrupcy, and undermine all the years and sacrifices you took for your first professional degree.

MD2b20004 said:
TOO MUCH DEBT, work and pay off your PharmD loans, then consider other fields. Funny because my best friend is finishing up her pedo residency in dentistry and is 250K in debt and has a 350K offer on the table and she calls me depressed because she thinks medicine is for her and she wants to quite her program, take the MCAT and apply to med school. :scared: She asked for my advice, and I told her WORK WITH YOUR DEGREE FIRST before you decide it is not for you, pay off as much debt as you can, then explore medicine if that is what you want. Do not be a degree collecter, it will end you up in bankrupcy, and undermine all the years and sacrifices you took for your first professional degree.

I earned my Pharm.D. in 1999, and now I am in my 4th year dental school.
I work on weekends. I am going to specialize in OMFS. It beats being not-so-happy. If you want dental, go back to school and work as a pharmacist on weekends.

I earned my Pharm.D. in 1999, and now I am in my 4th year dental school.
I work on weekends. I am going to specialize in OMFS. It beats being not-so-happy. If you want dental, go back to school and work as a pharmacist on weekends.

I got my PharmD in 2003. Now I am in my first year of ortho. Most of my classmates who work retail in pharmacy now are so burned out that they are thinking of going back to school.

Before you enter Pharmacy school, consider this: getting a MBA at Stanford will make you make $250,000 a year. The GMAT exam is alot easier to take. :thumbup:

See? Only 9 posts. What a jerk. :thumbdown:

Going to pharmacy school is not going to be a stepping-stone in and of itself into another field. A Pharm.D is a terminal graduate degree. If you want to do something else, perhaps persue it more directly; otherwise, understand that you will be competiting with students who have all sorts of qualifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to pharmacy school is not going to be a stepping-stone in and of itself into another field. A Pharm.D is a terminal graduate degree. If you want to do something else, perhaps persue it more directly; otherwise, understand that you will be competiting with students who have all sorts of qualifications.

I definitely agree. Why would you want to spend money and time to become a pharmacist if you actually want to be a dentist? Just because you have a pharmacy degree, it does not mean you will get accepted to a dentistry school automatically.

Agreed. However if it helps the op, there are some programs where you can complete labs etc after your pharmD education. You come out doing expensive dental procedures. . .but you are not a dentist. Something that I am looking foward to.

I mean, who really gives a ****? Go to Pharmacy school if you feel like it; follow it up with dental and medicine next if it is what you want to do. Sometimes I don't understand how people can be so opinionated on stupid topics like this. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if you initially get a PhD in Women's studies, decide you then would like an MD, and then head to Pharmacy school. Doesn't effect me at all.

As for the question will a PharmD be a help or a hindrance, once again, I find it to be a stupid question. If you are determined to do something and are worth a damn, you'll get in to Dental school after Pharmacy. They will certainly ask the question, but you will most likely have months to contrive some stock answer as to why you have a burning desire to put your hands in dirty mouths as opposed to counting pills; the interviewers will check the box saying you answered, and that will be that.

Guaranteed?

Maybe. Sometimes they make more. Do well on the GMAT, score above a 640, and then get into Harvard / Stanford business school. You will like making $250,000 a year after graduation. You can work for Wall Street. :luck:

My aunt went from doing nails to becoming a dentist (true story, not lying). She says she enjoyed running the nail salon more then being a dentist.

My aunt went from doing nails to becoming a dentist (true story, not lying). She says she enjoyed running the nail salon more then being a dentist.

You have got to do that, tell everyone this in the dentistry forums. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Agreed. However if it helps the op, there are some programs where you can complete labs etc after your pharmD education. You come out doing expensive dental procedures. . .but you are not a dentist. Something that I am looking foward to.

are you serious?? i've never heard of that...do you have any links so that i can get more info?

Guaranteed?

Nothing is guaranteed. However, 250k is probably on the high end. Also, one should not look at the initial salaries as a guideline, esp. in business. I think at top MBA programs first year overall compensation is around 150k.

Did anyone notice this is a thread resurrected from 2006?

I am continually baffled at why this forum doesn't automatically lock a thread after it has been idle for 3-6 months. Its like Night of the Living Dead with all these threads rising up from the grave!