Dentistry: disgusting at times?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys at least slightly disgusted by dealing with the inside of a stanger's mouth? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm not trying to bash dentistry or anything like that; I am merely curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like there are much worse places to be inside of a stranger. I followed a urologist around for one day and knew that would never appeal to me.

I feel like there are much worse places to be inside of a stranger. I followed a urologist around for one day and knew that would never appeal to me.

Same with OB/GYN. Those things are like cars......they only bring them in when they're broken or putting out a bad smell.

Members don't see this ad :)
This site has been officially ruined.

Is that thing even human?

What I don't get is that thing looks like it has has multiple surgeries on the nose ala Michael Jackson, but doesn't seem to care about the teeth. Frightening.

less disgusting than a gasterointerologist, obgyn, urologist's work and the docs who do the hernia tests :thumbup:

Are any of you guys at least slightly disgusted by dealing with the inside of a stanger's mouth? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm not trying to bash dentistry or anything like that; I am merely curious.

Ever watch dirty jobs?

My wife told her poon doc that I was training to be a dentist and the doc responded by saying she wouldn't be able to stare down people's mouth's all day:laugh:

My wife told her poon doc that I was training to be a dentist and the doc responded by saying she wouldn't be able to stare down people's mouth's all day:laugh:

Poon doc. . . :laugh:

most disgusting thing i've seen was scraping stalagtite-like calculus off a patient first thing in the morning. i got a little queasy.

Just dont french kiss your patients and you will be o.k.

Just dont french kiss your patients and you will be o.k.

He is uglier with his mouth closed.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

I get asked this question all the time and I dont get it. What is so gross about a person's mouth? The worst ones I've seen all have calculus bridges that I could smell from across the clinic, but they're the easiest. I just hold my nose, take a gander, and send them off to the hygienist (now they have a nasty job!)