Dentistry right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolphin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was in high school and university, I have found myself to be better in mathematical science courses (e.g., calculus, physical chemistry) than courses such as molecular biology and biochemistry. I am starting to prepare for dental school but am not sure if I will regret such a choice. Any dentists out there who had alike pre-dental experience? Thanks for sharing. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow a variety of different dentists to see what their job is like and ask them any questions you might have about the profession. Also, check the mentor forum for posts about dentistry. Asking yourself 'do I like working with my hands?' and 'do I like working with people?' are more important questions then wondering about what classes you are more skilled in.

Shadow a variety of different dentists to see what their job is like and ask them any questions you might have about the profession. Also, check the mentor forum for posts about dentistry. Asking yourself 'do I like working with my hands?' and 'do I like working with people?' are more important questions then wondering about what classes you are more skilled in.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Shadow with your own dentist and see how you like it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dolphin,
I completely understand your concern that you feel that your mathematical and analytical skills won't be much help in dentistry, and that you are concerned that you don't have a natural intuition for Biology. I earned my B.S. and M.S. in mechanical engineering, worked for eight years, and then decided to go back to school full-time to get a B.S. in Bio to apply to dental school.

I way underestimated my ability to learn Bio and O-chem, and I found out real fast that mathematical and analytical skills used in engineering and physics don't mean crap in Bio and O-chem. My year of Gen Bio and O-chem was all B & C's, and I was totally freaking out. But deep down, I knew that I was going to be a good dentist since I have strong perceptual and manual dexterity skills.

As I progressed through the classes, I just kept modifying my study approach to Bio and Chem, and I eventually figured out how to memorize. By the time I finished all the upper-level Bio classes, I got all A's & B's, and I scored 21 on the DAT. Therefore, if you truely desire to be a dentist, you will be able to modify your approach to Bio and do well. Also, as you take the upper level Bio classes, you'll notice that all the material starts to repeat itself, so the classes get easier.

Lastly, after shadowing a ton of dentists, I learned that analytical skills will be needed for work related to orthodontics, implants, and prothedontics.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!