dentistry speeding up aging process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albany11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me, or do most seasoned dentists look much older than their real age, maybe due to stress.
I volunteered at several offices, and I noticed these dentists were stressed out at least 1/3 of the day. They kept moving from room to room while working like a horse. For a little more money, why do some dentists overwork and burn out so quickly. This can cause stress and possible early death. Heard of several dentists dying early. All for what?
Wondering, Is the life span of dentists shorter than the general public?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your hypothesis are err....slightly inaccurate.
While the job is stressful, I don't; see how you are going to die early from it.
And itS not for a little more money, it's for ALOT mroe money ;)

:smuggrin: Money is the most important thing in the world!!!! BWAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

:lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I can tell you in my area that dentists are stressed out and it is for little money. In my area they have to hustle and see as many people as possible for routine treatments. This is stressful and leaves many of them wishing they had not goine into dentistry. Some of them wish that they could move into another field but they are unable to due to debts, pride, or lack of training in anything but dentistry. The older dentist in my area are comfortable..they have made lots of money and they comfortably see patients. The middle aged dentists are struggling or have relocated. The younger graduates see the writing on the wall and they are not staying, or they are working for a year or 2 to get their feet wet and they are gone. I've seen a few dental practices close since 2005, but these were people who practice about 10 years and could no longer hold it down. The problem in my area is that there are not alot of people with money, lots of people not working or on public assistance so their ability to pay is minimal. Most dentist in this area do not accept medicare or medicaid, but the insurances are not that great. If you are cosmetic, or if you are trying to do cash.. you will starve here.
On the flipside, there are many dentist that I know in other parts of the country and they do not have any of the issues that dentist have here. They treat 3-4 days per week and are doing quite well. So maybe the dentist that you see stressed out has alot to do with what area they are practicing in as well as the patient's ability to pay...so they have to see more patients to recover decent money.

Is it me, or do most seasoned dentists look much older than their real age, maybe due to stress.
I volunteered at several offices, and I noticed these dentists were stressed out at least 1/3 of the day. They kept moving from room to room while working like a horse. For a little more money, why do some dentists overwork and burn out so quickly. This can cause stress and possible early death. Heard of several dentists dying early. All for what?

Oh, but to answer your question, I think doctors in general are stressed out and they do not take care of themselves. I have seen many doctors that are so busy with practicing that they do not take time to workout, I've seen some who eat bad takeout everyday, I've seen some that have not taken a vacation since they began practicing and for those people they do look older than they are...but I don't think that is specifically dentistry.. and it is also a personal choice.

all the dentists i know outside of dental school actually look younger than their respective ages,,,and never seem stressed out from work.....but the prof.s/dentist at my school; they look pretty terrible ... well some of them....maybe they're just really old

I think I have seen engineers that look older than their age, and also congressmen. Not to mention, once I saw a coal miner who was 50 and looked every bit of 72. My wife is a kindergarten teacher (she is 30) and I think she looks 40(dont tell her I said that).......This is a ******ED hypothesis. No matter what the profession, you choose your lifestyle and your aging properties. Stress is all about perspective. Dont sweat the small stuff, and certainly dont stress about money(which of course I do everyday, and thus as a 30 year old dentist I look like I am 35:D )

Oh and dentists have a higher suicide rate tooo...teeth make us do evil things....and then we kill ourselves.
:p :p :p