Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFTIGER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, I know absolutely NOTHING about dental school, I'm Pre-Med possibly will turn Pre-Dental. Do you need a bachelor's (I heard some schools don't require)? What are the requirements/required courses for dental school? Is there a residency after dental school? How competitive are dental schools? What's tested on the DAT'S?

Members don't see this ad.

why the change?

Sup guys, I know absolutely NOTHING about dental school, I'm Pre-Med possibly will turn Pre-Dental. Do you need a bachelor's (I heard some schools don't require)? What are the requirements/required courses for dental school? Is there a residency after dental school? How competitive are dental schools? What's tested on the DAT'S?

Read more threads, then post questions.

Read this too:

http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/template.asp?TemplateID=8

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school has the same pre-reqs as med school. You can get in with only 2 years of undergrad, but it is more likely if you have a bachelors degree. It depends on the inteded school as to what their requirements are, so you would have to research that. Most of them are the same though:

Biological Sciences w/ Lab 8 hrs. semester/ 12 hrs. quarter
Inorganic Chemistry w/ Lab 8 hrs. semester/ 12 hrs. quarter
Organic Chemistry w/ Lab 8 hrs. semester/ 12 hrs. quarter
Physics w/ Lab 8 hrs. semester/ 12 hrs. quarter
English Composition 6 hrs. semester/ 8 hrs. quarter

Grades of C- or lower will not be accepted. I think that some new pre-reqs are being added for the next application cycle, so look for those. Dental school admissions is very competitive, so don't underestimate it. The class sizes are smaller in comparison to most medical schools, so that is why it is really competitve. You do have to take the DAT as well. It's similar to the MCAT, but different in many ways.

DAT Consists of:

Sciences: Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry

Quantitative Reasoning: it's like math on the SAT and ACT, but no calculator

Reading Comprehension: similar to SAT and ACT format but on steroids

Perceptual Abilities Test (PAT): you have never seen anything like this, but with practice it is doable. Look it up on the www.ada.org website.

All of this info can be found on the www. ada.org site. Look it up.