anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
i hear in a post that in some foreign countries, a dentist is an MD with a specialty in dentistry. What countries is this true???? Also, DDS/DMD ive heard has more intensive courses than MD (not saying this is true, just what i heard), so beside the beauracracy, why is the US different?

What are the pros/cons to this move?

DISCLAIMER: im not advocating/objecting to this move, im just curious why this is the case. Im majoring in poly sci, emphasis on healthcare industry, which explains my interest.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
anxietypeaker said:
DISCLAIMER: im not advocating/objecting to this move, im just curious why this is the case. Im majoring in poly sci, emphasis on healthcare industry, which explains my interest.
I'm not convinced.

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
Ive seen your past posts trooper, youre an idiot. I will no longer be reading your future posts on this thread or any other, i suggest you do the same for me.

About the Ads

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I am not sure about a foreign dentist with only MD degree.

This is somewhat off-topic but I know that in South Korea dental clinic is present within hospitals. It's funny cuz when I firstly came to the US and had a toothache, I went to the hospital looking for a dentist.

anxietypeaker said:
i hear in a post that in some foreign countries, a dentist is an MD with a specialty in dentistry. What countries is this true???? Also, DDS/DMD ive heard has more intensive courses than MD (not saying this is true, just what i heard), so beside the beauracracy, why is the US different?

50dent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Dental
a little off subject- I believe that ive read on here that instead of doing the DDS and then getting the MD for OMF, that there has been a small number of cases where an MD had gone to dental school to do it. Not sure if this is true.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
anxietypeaker said:
I think that all dentists in Poland do medical school before they "specialize" in dentistry, if this is what you're asking. I can't think of any pros right now. Cons: (1) takes ridiculously long to become a dentist; (2) Inefficient use of medical school facilities/teachers

HermeytheElf

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Hollywood Upstairs Dental College
Status
Pre-Dental
Dentists in Peru/Nicaragua/Honduras all go to dental school right after high school...so no med school, but no college either. They also have a mandatory residency in a government health facility after graduating.

Doggie

Professional Jackass
15+ Year Member
Dentalist said:
I am not sure about a foreign dentist with only MD degree.

This is somewhat off-topic but I know that in South Korea dental clinic is present within hospitals. It's funny cuz when I firstly came to the US and had a toothache, I went to the hospital looking for a dentist.
What's funny is that you could recieve dental care if you go to hospitals......not all of them though.

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
Doggie,
Which hospitals offer dental services also? I only ask cuz i am really for integrated health care systems like kaiser (albeit, i dont know enough of the drawbacks of HMOs).

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
all trauma centers will more than likely have some type of oms on duty. and most hospitals will have several general dentists that is on duty that will come to the hospitals to work on critical patients.

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
i know OMF surgery can be considered critical. what types of surgeries are "critical" to call a general dentist and have him work with the patient at the hospital? this is just the first time ive heard this before (shows how little i know).

thanks.

drhobie7

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
anxietypeaker said:
i know OMF surgery can be considered critical. what types of surgeries are "critical" to call a general dentist and have him work with the patient at the hospital? this is just the first time ive heard this before (shows how little i know).

thanks.
Emergency 6-11 veneers. Gotta look good for the nurses. :D

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
NC
Status
HermeytheElf said:
Dentists in Peru/Nicaragua/Honduras all go to dental school right after high school...so no med school, but no college either. They also have a mandatory residency in a government health facility after graduating.
Much of Europe is the same (for example, Great Britain) for attending straight out of high school...more or less.

ARguy

10+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status
jpollei said:
Much of Europe is the same (for example, Great Britain) for attending straight out of high school...more or less.
That explains their teeth!

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
Out of highschool is kickass, graduating @ 23.

I really think the mods need to get a collection of the better posts about these things, from toofache32 for example, make a topic and pin it.

Doggie

Professional Jackass
15+ Year Member
anxietypeaker said:
Doggie,
Which hospitals offer dental services also? I only ask cuz i am really for integrated health care systems like kaiser (albeit, i dont know enough of the drawbacks of HMOs).

A lot of the VA hospitals offer dental services......but mostly to veterans or their families. Also, any hospital that has a GPR (and maybe AEGD) program will also offer dental services.

http://www.adea.org/EPS/SearchForm.asp

txdent2be2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Status
In Europe, dentistry as a specialty of medicine (stomatology?) is common only in Eastern bloc countries -- it's being phased out as more dental schools open across Europe.

This info is from two dentists from Sweden and Germany I met at the IADR last March.

QCkid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
Status
charlie711 said:
a little off subject- I believe that ive read on here that instead of doing the DDS and then getting the MD for OMF, that there has been a small number of cases where an MD had gone to dental school to do it. Not sure if this is true.
Yes, this is true. We have an M.D. in our class who matched into omfs. Unfortunately for him he has to go through 4 years of dental school. He could have saved himself a lot of time by going the other way but I guess its better late than never to figure out what you really want to do.

About the Ads