Dentists and Halloween!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In spirit of this wonderful day, I wanted to ask the question:

Do dentists give out candy?

I know of dentists who actually offer to buy trick-or-treaters' candy to promote tooth-decay awareness.

Personally I'd dress up as a Colgate tube and give out bags with my business card, candy, and floss :) .

And on a side note, do dentists ever eat candy/sweets themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

In 2012, the ADA in collaboration with Popcap Games gave out free codes for Plants Vs Zombies downloads, suggesting their "zombie mouth" is better than candy-caused zombie mouth.

I don't think dentists ever eat candy/sweets, similar to how medical doctors don't smoke tobacco.

It's a gimmick IMO. There is so much more to caries than eating candy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentists for real don't eat sweets though? :( . I'm indulging in halloween candy as I type, but I'm sure to brush and floss extra thoroughly and finish it off with mouth-wash.

Dentists are crazy... I laugh at these "candy buy-back" promotions that dentists tend to do. We have candy all year round for patients to enjoy in the front. A year ago, our costco had a sale on these overstock candies and I bought their remaining stock to give to patients. I believe it was 70% off or more.

This thread made me look for this photo. Cropped for privacy reasons. This lasted about 6-9 months. Only downside is all the jokes we get from patients about how we're ensuring repeat business as they stuff their bag/purse/pockets full of candy.

candy.jpg

Edit: Happy Halloween. I eat a ton of candy and openly admit it to patients. I just tell them to brush afterwards and most of the damage should be negated.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd like to think that most dentists don't want to be this guy:

On the topic of Halloween and dentists....

During lecture today our professor explained how the comic below wouldn't make sense. Apparently white spot caries lesions take approximately two years to form, and cavitations take around four years. Obviously there's variation, but the candy kids eat on Halloween isn't going to cause decay that will be seen in a month. And now it's time for me to get off SDN for the night.

81b12246a13d2e8ed1bea425fcdfec41--dentist-humor-dental-jokes.jpg

On the topic of Halloween and dentists....

During lecture today our professor explained how the comic below wouldn't make sense. Apparently white spot caries lesions take approximately two years to form, and cavitations take around four years. Obviously there's variation, but the candy kids eat on Halloween isn't going to cause decay that will be seen in a month. And now it's time for me to get off SDN for the night.

81b12246a13d2e8ed1bea425fcdfec41--dentist-humor-dental-jokes.jpg
But maybe he's just saying see you next month cause he knows his neighborhood kids are coming in for a regular check up next month :)

Reactions: 1 user

I know of dentists who actually offer to buy trick-or-treaters' candy to promote tooth-decay awareness.

Personally I'd dress up as a Colgate tube and give out bags with my business card, candy, and floss :) .

Whatever happened with you and your parents? Did you cry and give in to their demands or did you stand up for yourself?

When I was growing up, everyone knew which house belonged to the town dentist because she was known for giving out the best candy on Halloween. She had all different kinds of full-size candy bars and made homemade caramel apples to give out.

Happy Halloween!

The professors put out a giant bowl of candy and chocolate yesterday in sim-lab. :)

We literally had a buffet of candy at our school yesterday.

Some people are way too uptight about this. Unless you’re xerostomic, there’s no harm in eating candy so long as you’re brushing regularly

Reactions: 2 users