Dentists have least # of vacation days?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blotterspotter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that dentists have the least number of vacation days of all professionals?!

I just saw this: http://www.trimp3.com/news/2006/04/least_stressful_jobs.html

I hope it's not true, but I think it might be :eek:

"Dentists, on the other hand, reported the least number of vacation days, averaging 14 days, it said."

Members don't see this ad.

blotterspotter said:
Is it true that dentists have the least number of vacation days of all professionals?!

I just saw this: http://www.trimp3.com/news/2006/04/least_stressful_jobs.html

I hope it's not true, but I think it might be :eek:

"Dentists, on the other hand, reported the least number of vacation days, averaging 14 days, it said."

well....I know most dentists work only 4 days a week in my area. Some even less. So the 14 days off thing can be misleading. A good friend of mine owns his practice and he takes a couple days off here and there and always takes a week around Christmas and a week or 2 in the summer. I can't say that's the norm but he certainly takes time off and still has a very succesful practice. I suppose you could take less time off and make more money, but it seems that if money is not your driving force the time is there to enjoy outside the office. Hope that helps!!
Scott

Well, I think once your practice is up and running and you have clients, you have alot of flexibility regarding vacations. Maybe dentists are naturally workaholics--I dont' think so though. I know my dentist who has a very high end, respected clinic but has worked hard to get there--takes a week off every 1-2 months to fly to his condo in florida. :cool: Now, that may be extreme-the other dentists in the area kind of tease him about it. But--He can do it, so why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many factors that account for when -and the amount of- vacation days that I take from my office. While I only work a 28 hr work week I find it hard to take vacation time because, as a self employed individual, if I don't work I don't get paid. My fixed overhead expenses are going to be waiting for me when I get back. Additionally, my staff is expecting to be paid --after all they didn't want to take the time off, there is just not much for them to do when I'm not here.

You will find those with multiple dentist practices and corporate dentists will tend to take more vacation time than those of us in average one provider offices. Also, I find some of my colleagues that are closer to retirement naturally tend to take more off time.

in the first 10 years, dentistry is very very stressful. Compared to other professions, it's probably true that we take the fewest vacation due to the high level of stress. A lot of dentist burn out during these time.
There is a strong correlation between high stress and aging.
I know many dentist who seem to age much quicker due to :

constant stress of running a practice, dealing with PITA patients, always worrying whether you will make ends meet, management of staff, low fees, high volume of patients

many veteral dentist see between 15-20 patients a day. In dental school, you are worn out by just seeing two easy patients, think about this

WE have to
start a practice, get loans,pay private and school loans, work extra hard to build practice with high level of risk involved, many years of education, etc

my advice is when you start out, enjoy and take as many vacation as possible
4-7 weeks off and take CE during that time. Enjoy when you are young,
why wait until you are 60 or 70

Another post trying to put down dentistry, citing a bunch of unsupportable "facts" with no citations or evidence at all.

Stop portraying your anecdotal experiences & blind speculation as objective fact, please.

My dentist works 3 1/2 days a weak and takes 4 two week vacations a year to travel. Of course he has been a dentist for probably 40 years and doesn't have a debt to his name but he seems to take off all the time he wants. I don't know what he does with his staff but his latest hire was 14 years ago when he needed a new hygienist. I also followed a pediatric dentist who works 3 1/2 days in her office, 1/2 day in at our school and does a couple of cases at the childrens hospital every Friday. She also said that she takes 14 weeks off a year during her slow times. She mentioned that her slow times are when sports are in full swing.

aphistis said:
Another post trying to put down dentistry, citing a bunch of unsupportable "facts" with no citations or evidence at all.

Stop portraying your anecdotal experiences & blind speculation as objective fact, please.
I was thinking the same thing. Where did this guy come from? And is he related to Dai Phan?

aphistis said:

I took that right off an article off the net Bill. The other comments seem anecdotal, but interesting. I think albany's point about trying to make ends meet may be a bit extreme though.

I don't really think the article is valid. To begin with, it says being a software engineer is one of the least stressful jobs?! Perhaps at the top. But at entry level, engineers are worked morning to late night with only weekends to relax.