1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Dentists have no right using lasers

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by seewell, Nov 18, 2005.

1. seewell

seewell Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was surprised to find when exploring an on-line journal club a review of the following:

Journal of the American Dental Association (1939)
    Looking at lasers.
    by Schwenk AJ

"Lasers in dentistry -- is it defensible in court?
    Thu 10/27/2005 PM

Though lasers pose to make some extra income... are you willing to take the risk of using one in your office? Units with power pose the risk of permanent scaring and disfigurement. "safer units" have highly questionable efficacy at all. Is this where our field is going?

If it is... I'm out."

It upsets me when MDs in the US look at the DDS as second class. (I'm assuming that this reviewer was from the US because o their fear of court) Is this the same in other parts of the world??

I was thinking of writing a scathing reply... but wanted to get some feedback here first.

2. BDS-DMD

BDS-DMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

This sounds really interesting!

3. Chompers

Chompers Member
    7+ Year Member

that person is probably a dentist who refers everything out and only does crowns and fillings. probably touched a scapel in dental school once. :smuggrin: lasers are great. the mucosa is the only place where healing can be done without scarring. pussycats.

4. seewell

seewell Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

It would be great if we all replied! Lets let them know what we think!
    This is where I found the post:
    http://journalreview.org/view_pubmed_article.php?pmid=15693488&specialty_id=4