Denver Health Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree that everyone will have a different "top" program, but based on my impressions this interview cycle from conversations with other applicants and advisors, it seems that a lot of
people regard Denver as having the strongest clinical training in the country.

Clearly, DH is "your" top program.

Based on my conversations with other applicants and my advisors, it seems that a lot of people don't regard Denver as having the strongest clinical training in the country, and I'll bet you my 'n' value is as high as yours.

If you wanted the strongest county/ICU/proceduralist clinical training, or the strongest academic clinical training, I can think of stronger programs.

If you want to argue that DH is the strongest at working their residents the most...you might have a winning argument there. Otherwise, it's good to be much more realistic with your expectations.

DH is one of the strongest clinical training programs for certain practice types--I think almost everyone would agree with you there.

Maybe some attendings can contribute?

Members don't see this ad.

Clearly, DH is "your" top program.

Based on my conversations with other applicants and my advisors, it seems that a lot of people don't regard Denver as having the strongest clinical training in the country, and I'll bet you my 'n' value is as high as yours.

If you wanted the strongest county/ICU/proceduralist clinical training, or the strongest academic clinical training, I can think of stronger programs.

If you want to argue that DH is the strongest at working their residents the most...you might have a winning argument there. Otherwise, it's good to be much more realistic with your expectations.

DH is one of the strongest clinical training programs for certain practice types--I think almost everyone would agree with you there.

Maybe some attendings can contribute?
Haven't even interviewed there yet. I agree with everything that you're saying, which is why I was trying to reconcile my n=1 experience of everyone raving about Denver when I can't find anything objective to justify it.

Haven't even interviewed there yet. I agree with everything that you're saying, which is why I was trying to reconcile my n=1 experience of everyone raving about Denver when I can't find anything objective to justify it.

DH is a premier program worth raving about. My point was that there is no unequivocal #1 best program for clinical training. Best is entirely subjective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Denver is well known because its one of the original county programs from the 1970s that also happens to be located in a very desirable location for applicants.

Otherwise there are certainly other programs that see more sick patients and do more procedures.

If you are into the 4 year scene and interested in going academic...and interested in living in a city like Denver...

Then it is the best program around. For others it remains Dnever.

Regardless, you will be well trained there, 4 years worth...just like at 99% of every other 4 year program.

Great program. Most are.

Reactions: 1 user
Denver is well known because its one of the original county programs from the 1970s that also happens to be located in a very desirable location for applicants.

This is a really important point when it comes to looking at programs. Prestigious programs in EM are historically one of the founding few. They have been around for a long time and were the first ones there, and so they trained some of the big names in EM. While I would say universally all these programs are fantastic, that does not equate to "the only programs worth training at"

The are tons of programs that were started in the 90s, 2000s that offer equally good training opportunities, but they may lack "the pedigree" of an LAC+USC, DH, Cincy, Highland. While some will argue that reputation matters, I will argue that it's all about the fit and where you will thrive.

As someone who interviewed at reputable programs, including Denver, nobody on the trail, including myself, thought Denver was THE top EM program. It's definitely one of the best, but every applicant probably has a different idea of what the best program looks like to him or her. Like every other program, it has its strengths and it has his weaknesses.

Great response. The top 5-10 EM programs are all very much similar in terms of the quality of physicians they graduate, but at the end of the location plus fit will end up determining who you view as number 1.

Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

Denver: 4-year program with no shift reduction. They do a circadian schedule all 4 years (2 day shifts, 2 mid shifts, 2 night shifts), all 8 hour shifts. work almost 50/50 at academic and county hospital, with some rotations at community sites. theyre trialing block schedule so it could change, but this was the biggest turn off of the program for me personally. High volume, high acuity. Very high autonomy, except in ortho. UColorado has strong orthopedic surgery program, so they take most reductions (except when you’re on ortho rotation); only do simple dislocation reductions in UC and Denver Health ED, and get all other reductions on community rotations. Robust ultrasound division, lots of nerve blocks if desired, no TEE. They work hard at this program, and sometimes I got the vibe that there was no time to do things (i.e. we’re glad we don’t do all reductions because that would take too much time); not a fan of that because I only train once and I’d like my education prioritized more than just turning the wheel. Trauma is great here, EM does all airways and most procedures. Strong toxicology and wilderness med here. Critical care scholarly track, easy to find faculty and research. Interview was way too short, had no time to ask any questions. Obviously incredible location being in Denver. Ultimately the schedule and ortho turned me away from the program. Moonlighting starts PGY4.