Deplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on this. So, according to Stahl, it is FDA approved for suboptimal folate levels in depressed patients and elevated homocysteine in schizophrenic patients for antidepressant and antipsychotic augmentation respectively.
1)What is the utility of this in patients who are heterozygous for the MTHFR mutation?
2)What's the utility in general of getting lab testing at all since Stahl alludes it can be used even if patient's don't necessarily have the mutation, the book also lists for uses: enhancement of antidepressant response at initiation of treatment
3)Why is Deplin brand name so damn expensive, I have NEVER been successful at getting insurance to help cover this. I also saw this site: L-Methylfolate 15 mg | L-Methylfolate Supplements
It is so much cheaper than brand name. Would this theoretically work just as well or is there something I am missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3)Why is Deplin brand name so damn expensive, I have NEVER been successful at getting insurance to help cover this. I also saw this site: L-Methylfolate 15 mg | L-Methylfolate Supplements
It is so much cheaper than brand name. Would this theoretically work just as well or is there something I am missing?

What you are missing is that these supplements are not approved by FDA as pharmaceuticals, which means a) no insurance plan will ever pay for them b) no hospital will ever be able to carry them on formulary and c) there is much less oversight as to the contents of the particular pills.

See also Lovaza v. approximately seven thousands kinds of fish oil available for a fraction of the price on the market.

Members don't see this ad :)
We discussed this in detail not too long ago here. I would search this forum for Deplin.

Thanks! Answered the genotyping question. What about the other question of deplin versus just other formulations of L methylfolate? Appreciated clausewitz2's input too. What I like about is that there may be some cases where it could actually work, and it's such a benign augmenting agent.

I've had a number of patients on it, who're both heterozygous and homozygous for the mutation. And yet still haven't seen any measurable difference in clinical symptoms.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Answered the genotyping question. What about the other question of deplin versus just other formulations of L methylfolate? Appreciated clausewitz2's input too. What I like about is that there may be some cases where it could actually work, and it's such a benign augmenting agent.
Methylpro contains Extrafolate...Deplin contains Metafolin. Deplin has several clinical studies in MDD and is regulated by the FDA as a Medical Food. Methylpro has no studies and is a supplement.
Anyone can get Deplin for $58 a month with a money back guarantee through a mail order pharmacy.

1mg of Extrafolate-S® equals approximately 0.76 mg of the active (6S)-5-MTHF (bioactive “free methylfolate”) that can be absorbed by your body. The significant difference between the ingredients in Extrafolate-S® and Metafolin® is the salt molecule’s form type. Basically, the Extrafolate-S® methylfolate is an amorphous salt form and the Metafolin® methylfolate is a crystalline salt form (Type I).

The difference between these salt form molecules is that a crystalline salt molecule is more stable, whereas an amorphous salt molecule is less stable. What does this mean to you or me? It means that if the amorphous ingredient is manufactured 12 months before use, it can lose up to 16%+ of its potency, compared to a crystalline form, which will only lose 1-2% of its potency.

Deplin
Excuse my ignorance on this. So, according to Stahl, it is FDA approved for suboptimal folate levels in depressed patients and elevated homocysteine in schizophrenic patients for antidepressant and antipsychotic augmentation respectively.
1)What is the utility of this in patients who are heterozygous for the MTHFR mutation?
2)What's the utility in general of getting lab testing at all since Stahl alludes it can be used even if patient's don't necessarily have the mutation, the book also lists for uses: enhancement of antidepressant response at initiation of treatment
3)Why is Deplin brand name so damn expensive, I have NEVER been successful at getting insurance to help cover this. I also saw this site:

Reactions: 1 user