Deposit issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cclewis

Perpetual Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently in the application process. Having been lucky enough to get a few interviews, I have been looking at financial info for schools - namely, the cost for deposits on seats in case of acceptance.

.....and these DO school deposits are expensive, often being $1000+
Coming from a disadvantaged background, I don't exactly have any family that can help me cover the cost of one of these, and any money I've saved for the application season will likely be exhausted traveling to schools.

So, I was wondering: does anyone here have experience with DO schools on this issue? Were they willing to work with you (i.e., extending deadlines or even waiving the deposit under certain circumstances)?

I

Members don't see this ad.

I think a few members actually have personal experience with your situation, so maybe they can chime in. Anyways, just talk to admissions and explain, they should work with you. I doubt that they will waive the deposit, usually it is like a down payment on your first chunk of tuition.

I hear you, these deposits are stressing me out. Best case scenario, you hear from a school you love before having to spend money on the other interviews. That way you could use interview money you saved on the deposit. Just a thought. Let us know if you hear anything from any schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the LECOM schools are the only ones that hold you to the 2 week time frame. Pretty much everyone else requires the first half of the deposit by december. And if you already have a few interviews, you will have a good idea by december whether or not you will be going there or not.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the LECOM schools are the only ones that hold you to the 2 week time frame. Pretty much everyone else requires the first half of the deposit by december. And if you already have a few interviews, you will have a good idea by december whether or not you will be going there or not.

LECOM gave me a month to turn in the deposit in January-February.

I agree OP needs to talk to admissions and work out a more suitable time frame to come up with the money.

Hey all,

I am currently in the application process. Having been lucky enough to get a few interviews, I have been looking at financial info for schools - namely, the cost for deposits on seats in case of acceptance.

.....and these DO school deposits are expensive, often being $1000+
Coming from a disadvantaged background, I don't exactly have any family that can help me cover the cost of one of these, and any money I've saved for the application season will likely be exhausted traveling to schools.

So, I was wondering: does anyone here have experience with DO schools on this issue? Were they willing to work with you (i.e., extending deadlines or even waiving the deposit under certain circumstances)?

I

I doubt they'll waive the deposit completely. I don't have support from my family, and I've already used up all the money I had saved.. Just save more money, get a second job, do whatever you have to.