Deposits and such ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missserica

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone still waiting for a school, but has already been accepted to other schools whose deposits are due very soon? Just wondering if anyone else is in this boat. I used to be in the boat waiting for acceptances, which was bad. But now I'm in this boat where I'll lose $3,000 because I'm waiting for an interview/acceptance from another school. Not like I'm looking for advice, it just kinda sucks. Heh.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm aboard, luckily I only stand to lose $300 in a deposit to my current pack leader. It's frustrating though, primarily because I'd like to be making long term decisions that I thought I could begin with in early December.

Anyone ever heard of someone putting a stop payment on their deposit check? One of my friends mentioned doing this rather than paying 2 deposits. How bad does this look? Especially if you'd consider applying to this place for a specialty program later? Also, how quickly have the deposit checks been cashed in the past or for people who submitted them early this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Missserica said:
Is anyone still waiting for a school, but has already been accepted to other schools whose deposits are due very soon? Just wondering if anyone else is in this boat. I used to be in the boat waiting for acceptances, which was bad. But now I'm in this boat where I'll lose $3,000 because I'm waiting for an interview/acceptance from another school. Not like I'm looking for advice, it just kinda sucks. Heh.

do you know if we have to deposit the full $3000 at once for BU or are we allowed to deposit $2000 at first and $1000 before February? thanks.

DUBS said:
do you know if we have to deposit the full $3000 at once for BU or are we allowed to deposit $2000 at first and $1000 before February? thanks.

$2000 at first by Jan 3, then $1000 by Feb. Yeah, even though I know I won't be accepted to the other place before February, I'm only going to send $2000.

ems5184 said:
Anyone ever heard of someone putting a stop payment on their deposit check? One of my friends mentioned doing this rather than paying 2 deposits. How bad does this look? Especially if you'd consider applying to this place for a specialty program later? Also, how quickly have the deposit checks been cashed in the past or for people who submitted them early this year?
I would say be careful with stuff like that. You don't want to burn those bridges or have your "rude" behavior resurface in your file 4 years from now. You know how schools ask if you've ever applied to their program before? I'm sure they have reasons for keeping tabs like that. If it's a small amount (as if any deposit is small :laugh: ), i'd let it go.

Missserica said:
$2000 at first by Jan 3, then $1000 by Feb. Yeah, even though I know I won't be accepted to the other place before February, I'm only going to send $2000.

3000 dollars is a bit much if you ask me!

HD

hockeydentist said:
3000 dollars is a bit much if you ask me!

HD
My eyes almost popped out when i read it! Gosh! they will apply it to tuition right?

Missserica said:
Geez. 2000 dollars!!! That makes my Maryland deposit look like pocket change. I think 2000 dollars is a little excessive. I would pay though if Boston is the only one so far, just in case.

Take care,
Rich

Does San Antonio have a deposit?

What's the deposit at Nova? Does anyone know?

Tufts is 1500 on the 4th. It has to be a certified check though, I don't believe you can put a stop payment on that.

Utes

I am going through the same..... so far I got into NYU (w/out interview) had an interview at Arizona and will have one at UCLA, BU, Detroit, and Tufts in January.

I got a letter from NYU today stating that my deposit of $500 is due January 16. Since I want to go to a dental school next year, it looks like I will be placing that deposit even if I get into a different school later.

Members don't see this ad :)
coral2005 said:
What's the deposit at Nova? Does anyone know?
The first is due on Jan. 14th and is $500.00. Then $500 more on March 15th. A pre-registration fee of $1000.00 is due by May 15th.

I wonder why dental school deposits are so expensive. UOP is $1K, while Temple is $500. My girlfriend is at Temple Med and she only had to pay $100. Weird.

Unemployed said:
I wonder why dental school deposits are so expensive. UOP is $1K, while Temple is $500. My girlfriend is at Temple Med and she only had to pay $100. Weird.

Maybe because predents tend to hear from lots of schools at once, either from the Dec 1 rush or beginning of Feb (when other acceptees make their decisions). I know med schools are a lot more rolling, so maybe they know that students change their mind a lot more and can't commit to deposits...? Might just be a headache for them.

this thread is making me realize that BU's deposit is really really expensive. shoots.

Missserica said:
this thread is making me realize that BU's deposit is really really expensive. shoots.

that's true but if you end up going there then it is only going towards your tuition anyway. then again, if you don't then there's $2-3000 you'll never see again :eek:

TX Hopeful said:
Yes...$200 (non-refundable).

How come they didn't mention that in the acceptance letter?

I sent in my deposit for Stony Brook already...
Tufts is due Jan. 5... and I'm interested in going there also...
And I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia (what's taking them so long?!)
And I have an interview from Penn in Feb... :eek:

... so confused~

LadyxJC said:
I sent in my deposit for Stony Brook already...
Tufts is due Jan. 5... and I'm interested in going there also...
And I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia (what's taking them so long?!)
And I have an interview from Penn in Feb... :eek:

... so confused~

Have you tried contacting Columbia at all?
I'm also waiting for them. What's their deal man?!
I'm scared to give them a call coz they might tear out my acceptance letter into a million pieces and throw it in the bin. :oops:

drengineer said:
Have you tried contacting Columbia at all?
I'm also waiting for them. What's their deal man?!
I'm scared to give them a call coz they might tear out my acceptance letter into a million pieces and throw it in the bin. :oops:

I tried sending Dr. McManus an email and got an automated reply back saying that he won't be in his office due to the holidays... :oops: