Chowdahead

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Just wondering how many people sent in deposits to multiple schools because they don't yet know which school to choose?

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Hopefully no one. That would be a pretty crappy thing to do. (Unless someone was pulled off a waitlist and trying to make up their mind between the school that they've accepted and the one that is just now offering them admission.)

OP
C

Chowdahead

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
That's how I felt when I heard it myself. Especially since I'm holding my breath sitting on waiting lists! Came up as a topic of conversation at a financial aid seminar that I went to this morning...one of the administrators indicated that they expect some late withdrawals this year due to the state of the economy and how difficult it is to secure private loans these days.

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
one of the administrators indicated that they expect some late withdrawals this year due to the state of the economy and how difficult it is to secure private loans these days.
That would different, though...someone who cannot go because they can't afford it/cannot get loans to afford it.

What did the administrators say about people holding multiple spots to give themselves more time to decide? I can't imagine it's common. But then, I can be somewhat naive when it comes to those kinds of things.

OP
C

Chowdahead

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
They just indicated that it is a common practice with most graduate level schools. I almost fell out of my chair when they said it - it never occurred to me and I'm not sure if I'm happy (may give me an extra chance) or bummed (think it's a crappy thing to do)!

adOggy07

KSU CVM C/O 2012
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
California
Status
Veterinarian
Are the GradPlus loans not offered at every school?

It seems like I will not have to take out any private loans because the max I can ask for my GradPlus loan is more than enough to cover what I need along with my financial aid package from K-State.

Although right now... it might even seem smarter to go for a private loan versus GradPlus.. since GradPlus is a fixed rate at around 8%.. I think prime right now for private loans are around 5%.. + whatever % is added depending on your credit score and whatnot.

I'm kind of considering getting a private loan because of that.. but I'm afraid of how much prime % will fluctuate as the years go on...

What are other people's opinions on this..?

EDIT: Sorry if this post is seemingly in the wrong thread... =P

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
Im pretty sure you arent allowed to put deposits down at multiple schools and thats part of the reason why the AAVMC has the April 15th deadline. I could be wrong though.

runnerDC

Tufts - class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
MA
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah, I think you're right; it isn't allowed, and if VMCAS schools find out that you've deposited at more than one school, I believe those schools reserve the right to rescind your admission altogether.
But even if they don't find out, it's still selfish, tacky, disrespectful to your future classmates and colleagues as well as to the process, and just all-around bad form.

Im pretty sure you arent allowed to put deposits down at multiple schools and thats part of the reason why the AAVMC has the April 15th deadline. I could be wrong though.

mdnghtdnc

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
I have read on other threads that putting multiple deposits are common. Some people just can't decide which they would like to attend and will visit both schools over the summer to determine which is better for them. In the other thread the poster said that the admissions office knows this is a common occurance and why schools actually accept more students than seats because they know that some students will eventually pull off the accepted list for this reason. I am not 100% sure, but the best thing to do is call up a few schools and see what their opinions are for.

Personally I feel that you should make up your mind as to which schools are good for you before you randomly apply. That way if you get multiple acceptances you are prepared as to which school is the one for you.