• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Depressed OMS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondChancePreDoc

5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hi friends, I'm seeking some advice maybe from someone who has been there. I have a history of some symptoms of anxiety and depression (never treated). I thought about seeking help prior to school started but I wasn't having any symptoms so I didn't make it a priority. Ever since school started things have progressively gotten worse. I now can't study without feeling paralyzing amounts of anxiety. It's gotten so bad that I've even thought about injuring myself just to get a break. Yesterday I accidentally slept for 16+hours. I don't think I've ever felt this bad and its really freaking me out. I've reached out to an anonymous help line provided by the school but they've been having some trouble finding a local counselor to talk to me as I'm in a relatively small area. I'm starting to think that I might need to leave school to get help. Do any of you have experience with medical leave? Pros and cons? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IsWhat

7+ Year Member
    Jul 13, 2012
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      While SDN probably isn't the place to receive medical advice, I will say get help any way you can as fast as you can. Medical school isn't worth losing your life or hurting yourself for reprieve.

Reactions: 1 user

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
      10+ Year Member
    • Nov 10, 2009
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Given what you've said you need to immediately seek out help and try to find a psychiatrist. I also recommend working with your school and seeing if they're able to be accommodating and if not take a leave of absence to stabilize and improve.

AlteredScale

Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        7+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        May 10, 2013
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          Status
          Not open for further replies.