Depressed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk4ey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow applicants..

I am so worried that I might not get any interviews. My AA is 22 and TS is 20, but my GPA is 3.39... In addition, I only have about 100 shadowing hours.

I feel like I am a weak applicant. What do I need to do??

Members don't see this ad.

what you need to do is realize you are a strong applicant.

Time to start studying for a retake and start looking into master's programs. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am so worried that I might not get any interviews. My AA is 22 and TS is 20, but my GPA is 3.39... In addition, I only have about 100 shadowing hours.

http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=search

edit: nvm the link didn't work

207 Search results found for members who, in cycles: 2011,2010,2009:
  • Were accepted to any school
  • Overall GPA is less than/equal to 3.39
  • DAT: Academic Average is less than/equal to 22
  • DAT: Total Science is less than/equal to 20

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the encouragement guys!!

Time to start studying for a retake and start looking into master's programs. You've got a long road ahead of you.

please do not listen to this poster. you have a good chance at getting interviews. dont even worry about it.

you realize the DAT is in the top 95th percentile.... right?

Unless you've bombed the Reading section, I see you as a very capable applicant.

By the way, whats your sGPA? maybe thats why your concered

A 100-hour of shadowing is actually more than enough. It would be a good idea to look for another extracurricular activities related to dentistry so you can talk about it at your interview, if u've already submitted ur application.

I felt like you and was told in my interview "your DAT (21/22/22) is high, GPA is on the low side" (3.29 sGPA, 3.48 cGPA). I had great LORs, plenty of service/experience, and had taken every recommended class.

Just do everything they ask and they'll be willing to look past a borderline GPA.

Apply to a bunch of schools if you haven't already. I was pretty nervous during the interview cycle and regretted only applying to the 3 Texas schools with my lower GPA. Ended up only getting 1 interview and into my dream school.

I know exactly how you feel - I have similar stats (3.40 oGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 3.14 BCP; 22AA/23TS). Did you apply broadly? I applied to 13 schools. I guess all we can do right now is hope that ad comms will look at more than just our gpa numbers. :xf:

:thumbdown: Shame on you for posting this thread with the title "depressed".

You're a strong applicant. But, make sure to google the word "confidence" before those interviews. :p

Not sure if this includes you, but certain schools seem to put less weight on GPA if you went to a very competitive undergrad (as they should, in my opinion). Tufts is definitely one of them...

Thank you for all your reply!

As I was born in South Korea and moved here 9th grade, I was really worried that I would not do well on Reading on DAT. Luckily, I got 24 on Reading.

As for GPAs, I dont know what BCP means, but I got 3.30 :(
science GPA 3.41, non-sicence 3.33. Total 3.39.

I have seen avg GPA is around 3.5~3.6, which makes me nervous.

I only applied to 8 schools, because of the cost.

Thank you for all your reply!

As I was born in South Korea and moved here 9th grade, I was really worried that I would not do well on Reading on DAT. Luckily, I got 24 on Reading.

As for GPAs, I dont know what BCP means, but I got 3.30 :(
science GPA 3.41, non-sicence 3.33. Total 3.39.

I have seen avg GPA is around 3.5~3.6, which makes me nervous.

I only applied to 8 schools, because of the cost.

Don't know what schools you've applied but I'm positive that you will get in somewhere :)

BTW I'm also from Korea :D

I felt like you and was told in my interview "your DAT (21/22/22) is high, GPA is on the low side" (3.29 sGPA, 3.48 cGPA). I had great LORs, plenty of service/experience, and had taken every recommended class.

Just do everything they ask and they'll be willing to look past a borderline GPA.

Apply to a bunch of schools if you haven't already. I was pretty nervous during the interview cycle and regretted only applying to the 3 Texas schools with my lower GPA. Ended up only getting 1 interview and into my dream school.

Wow, you got into Baylor?! Your future as a dentist is sweeter financially than it would have been had you gone to any other dental schools (especially those uber expensive private ones) since you will have so little debt!

Are you a Texan resident? I hear that all the Texas schools are biased towards Texan residents. Also, I hear that Baylor only looks at the unique applicants (from humanitarian endeavors, research achievements, etc)... Do you find this to be true? What kind of applicant were you, if you don't mind me asking (e.g. extracurriculars, shadowing hours, etc)?