• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

rachellim

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
Does anyone know if there are people who make it through medical school with depression and eating disorders? I am having a very hard time concentrating in school. I have just started medical school but I have already missed school for a week because I felt so terrible. I don't want to give up my dream of becoming a doctor but it is difficult. I am currently on 50mg of prozac and 50mg of topamax. Work is piling up and I am trying very hard to study but it is hard.

monocyte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2004
Status (Visible)
Dear Rachellim,

Yes, there are certainly people who make it through medical school with serious psychiatric conditions. (A psychiatrist at Stanford once told me that many students at the medical school were being treated for depression - I would not be surprised if this was a national phenomenon.) How long have you been taking your medications?

Hang in there,

monocyte

psydoc

[email protected]
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2003
italy
Status (Visible)
Dear Rachellim,
I think you can and will fulfill your dream. I have known several people in med school who have been struggling with eating and depressive disorders.
I also think that the first priority should be to take care of yourself: don't push it too hard, if you're not well now you have to think about your own health first. Take your time.
Medical school is stressful, and at times it may be difficult to cope with one's own personal issues, but do not lose hope: persistence and time will bring you to your goal.

I wish you the best of luck

Psydoc

Thewonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2001
Status (Visible)
Going through med school is tough. The key is to understand your limitation. Don't be afraid to ask for help and if necessary, don't hesitate to spread out your basic or clinical science years a little longer so you don't get too stressed out. People underestimate how hard med school is and let me tell you, I am glad that med school is almost over for me. Don't over-work yourself is definitely a key.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.