Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CytochromeP450

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys get depressed about your low ugrad GPAs? If so, what do you do to keep you head over the water....sometimes I just feel like drowning. :-/ Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i feel you man, it's like im paying for my mistakes now. I'm still at least four-five years away from applying to medical school. Keep your head up and stick with it! :)

CytochromeP450 said:
Do any of you guys get depressed about your low ugrad GPAs? If so, what do you do to keep you head over the water....sometimes I just feel like drowning. :-/ Thanks

Not to sound like lecture-y, but I just keep telling myself that something great is out there for me. Even if you don't believe it - I sometimes don't - it is something to keep you going and reaching toward a goal. YOU NEED A GOAL and one day it will happen. Hang in there and just keep going - many of us are in the same boat as you =)

Members don't see this ad :)
CytochromeP450 said:

1.) Out of sight, out of mind - look forward, not back
2) read the low GPA thread...repeat....and repeat
3) focus on the MCAT, the great "equalizer"
4) think of all your other options - DO, Carib, Europe
6) think positive and visualize future A's
5.) sing like the mice in Disney's cinderella:
"you can do it, you can do it there is really nothing to it"

;)

I got depressed now and then during undergrad due to my GPA, but I knew deep down I wasn't at my full potential yet. But it was frustrating to know that my GPA was slowly falling deeper and deeper.

As someone stated, out of sight out of mind. Don't think about the low GPA, think about how you can improve upon it. Can't fix those grades, but you can surely fix how you study, etc.

I was so used to getting low grades that I started doubting myself. When I got my act together, and started getting all A's, I said to myself that it was just a fluke. Only recently (last quarter) did I start to realize that I am able to do well. Of course I can't keep my guard down now. I think the depression has now been replaced by the fear of getting a B..lol.

So what I'm getting at is, yea we got low grades. Check that low GPA thread to see what I had;). But you need that one semester/quarter where you pull it off, and prove that you can do it:)

Now the big question is, is all this work going to get me into med school?...haha.

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one feeling this way. I am beyond looking back. I am just fearful of repeating the same mistakes.

Heads up y'all...we can do it. :D

One step at a time. It can be done. Don't overwhelm yourself (else you end up with depression AND anxiety). It will happen. Stay positive and have those around you be positive as well. :D

I feel the same way as everyone else with a poor UG and a very good grad. I will tell you what I was told. There is nothing you can do about it. It is there, it will always be there. You need to move on.

Focus on what you are doing now and do well. If you do well, then the UG can be chalked up to youth. The important thing is that you don't look back at it and get depressed but rather as a way of making you even more determined to do very well from now on.

Did you look at the old pre meds flyer for the convention this year? they are having a session on "Digging yourself out of a deep hole" you may want to go to the convention. If anything you can speak to several of the medical schools that will be there.

What convention are you talking about EMT2ER-DOC?

Medic2doc said:
What convention are you talking about EMT2ER-DOC?
go to the website oldpremeds.org

Selisa said:
do you have to register for the conference, or can you just show up? i ask because i live in the DC area, so i was thinking about just popping in... :)

I think you have to register. I live in the area also and I registered a month ago.

OldManDave would know for sure.

Selisa said:
do you have to register for the conference, or can you just show up? i ask because i live in the DC area, so i was thinking about just popping in... :)

register on-line before hand so that there is a head count for seats and refreshments.

Wow this got off topic really fast!