Depth of Experience Going In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee83

Pre-Veterinary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topics concerns those of us who do not have thousands of hours of veterinary experience, but who have been gaining experience hours by shadowing, cleaning kennels, doing receptionist work, etc. My concern is that, since I have not been able to secure a position as a vet assistant, paid or unpaid, that I will be at a disadvantage when I go to veterinary school in terms of practical applications. So my question is, how much about the skills side of veterinary practice are we expected to know as we are entering our first year of vet school? I have drawn blood on anesthetized cats twice, and it's certainly not something I'm proficient in, so will that set me back from my classmates in any way? I have some basic experience with restraining animals, but how good at it do I need to be at this point? Are there people who go into vet school with a limited skill set and who do okay, or do they have a harder time?
Bottom line is, should I really be worried about finding a place that will teach me all the tech-type stuff, or is that something that I will have the opportunity to learn later with my peers? Granted, I have well over a year (at minimum) to learn more about these things, but I am curious to know about others' thoughts and experiences on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

We aren't expected to know how to be vets right now-that's what we go to vet school for ;)

The entire point of gaining experience under a veterinarian is not necessarily to become proficient in veterinary techniques as much as it is to gain insight into the field and make sure we can show that we understand the field, in all its good and bad. My veterinary experience was pretty limited compared to a lot of applicants, but I made the most of what I did have.

Above all, be confident in what you have. Don't cowar back and apologize for not having a gazillion hours of experience, sit up tall and speak proudly about what you learned from the experience you DO have. Cleaning kennels and doing receptionist work shows a good work ethic, valuable customer service skills, and a sense of humilty and willing to pay your dues by doing some grunt work before you move up. Use it to your advantage.

I, for one, am really thankful for all my receptionist work - it's not hands on work, but you learn a lot by answering client questions. Also, you learn how to deal with "difficult" clients, which is really valuable. So, the person next to you in class might do stellar blood draws but shut down when a client gets angry. Focus on your strengths for now, like EllieGirl said, and you'll learn the rest when you get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a prob at all really. If you were really concerned that you were lacking experience, you can still gain experience while in vet school so that you are more confident going into clinics. In fact, it's easier to find places to learn once you're a vet student!

I'm also in the same boat. I've spent many years cleaning kennels, doing laundry, holding pets, etc. I know how to open sterile packs like suture, staplers, instruments etc., I know how and when to remove a trach tube after surgery, I've assisted in xrays (but my pedal pushing skills are consistently weak <_<;), and that's about the extent of my "tech" knowledge. Oh, and I can do a free catch urine, yay me.

The point is, there's plenty of people who can't do all those techhy skills but have a lot better view of the profession and ups and downs than those who have been a tech. Just use the experience you have... and as sumstorm said, I'm looking mighty hard at getting some tech-esque training as a vet student. So many places want vet students and won't take pre-vet! D8

Ah, I see, thanks. It's just another one of those things I find myself ruminating over when I get on the forum and everyone already seems to be an expert :p

I feel for you, I was in the same boat, actually mine was sinking, I didn't have any experience under a vet before November! I have been shadowing some so I am up to 70 hours, but that was pretty pathetic compared to everyone else. You are way ahead of me right now, but luckilly I was able to find a job as a vet tech :). Have you tried searching online for a vet tech job? Many require you to be a licensed vet tech, but there are a few places that will train (like the one I found :D). If you haven't searched online, I'd recommend checking out getveterinarytechnicianjobs.com or similar sites, you never know what you'll find. I actually applied for the job I got from that site but I knew about it because of shadowing at the clinic.

I agree with everyone else, you have a lot more experience than you are giving yourself credit for! I think the purpose of the experience hours is to get a feel for what its like to be a vet so you are sure its what you want to do and to make sure you know going in that like every career, there will be things that you don't like about being a vet. It's not all saving animals, there are sad cases, dealing with clients, etc. They just want you to have a feel for all aspects of being a vet I think.

In my class there are people with 10 years of tech experience and those with only receptionist experience. It doesn't matter either way. The school is going to teach you what you need to know. They will show you how they want you to draw blood, restrain an animal, etc. It might be easier for you because you won't have to re-learn any techniques that were taught to you in a different manner than the school likes.

Don't worry. I had no hands on clinical experience before coming to vet school...but there are so many opportunities to gain experience once you're here. We have opportunities to help out at the teaching hospital, opportunities at shelters in the area, summer opportunities with Banfield (which I hear pay well and teach you clinical skills), as well as many courses designed to teach you how to do some of the more simpler things (nursing, catheter placement, figure 8 bandage wrap etc).

I still don't have many clinical skills but thats just because I've been taking it easy this year in terms of volunteering my time. I feel a little behind my other classmates but I know I'll learn it eventually and I'm not too worried about it.

I don't want to start a whole Banfield debate (I definitely have my own opinions about them) but about two years ago when I was looking for veterinary experience I asked the local Banfield if I could come in and volunteer/shadow on the weekends (I had (still have) a full time M-F job, so I could only do weekends and they were one of my only options to ask). After volunteering for only 2 or 3 weeks they decided to hire me part-time for the weekends (getting paid to do what I already wanted to do for free!). In just a few months I was nursing rooms, drawing blood, placing catheters, expressing anal glands (my favorite!), monitoring surgeries, etc. -- all the same work the vet techs (certified or not) do there. After getting accepted I cut my hours back to only sunday (a year and a half working 7 days a week stopped being fun pretty fast) so I get to come in once a week, learn something new each time, and pocket a little extra money for school!

I want to mention in addition to the hands-on experience I've acquired, I've been able to work with some amazing doctors. Our hospital staffs 6 veterinarians and we always see a few "relief" doctors here and there. My favorite part of working is getting to listen in on all the doctor/client conversations.

Plus I have the dirty job of presenting "treatment" plans to clients, my least favorite part of the job, but another great learning experience.

I felt a bit clueless at first since some of my classmates were very proficient at technical skills and I wasn't, but its really not a big deal. Some vet students have years of experience as techs when they start, some don't. A lot of learning goes on during vet school (surprise, surprise :rolleyes:), and by the time clinical rotations roll around the only way to know how much experience a person had when they started out is to ask them.

And speaking of fourth years, our upperclassmen here are wonderful. Despite how busy they are, they have always been very welcoming when I hang around in the teaching hospital, and several encourage me to help out and get some hands-on practice with tech skills. If your school allows it, I highly recommend you take advantage of your freedom in spending time in the teaching hospital.

A lot of it also depends where you're from. Some states are extremely strict about what assistants can do, and what techs must do.

I was not even legally allowed to draw blood, so all of my clinic work was basically what you described - feeding, cleaning, wrapping packs, watching, maybe restraining a little, etc.

Lol, I didn't even know you took blood from the jugular when I started (the clinic I worked at was all cats and we only did legs, and although I did jugs on large animals, I did not know people did it for dogs and cats - first time I saw something do a dog jug stick in school I went WTF!?!?! Why are you sticking it there?! And my more techy classmates were quite confused as to my reaction) Some of my classmates came in having done basically everything from catheterization to basic dentistry. It all depends.

Lol, I didn't even know you took blood from the jugular when I started (the clinic I worked at was all cats and we only did legs, and although I did jugs on large animals, I did not know people did it for dogs and cats - first time I saw something do a dog jug stick in school I went WTF!?!?! Why are you sticking it there?! And my more techy classmates were quite confused as to my reaction) Some of my classmates came in having done basically everything from catheterization to basic dentistry. It all depends.

The same thing happened to me. We were supposed to pull blood from our own pets, and some classmates were helping me. Imagine my surprise when they started going for his neck. "What?! No! That seems dangerous!"

Now I do jug draws (badly) all the time. :rolleyes: I had no real experience prevet school only a little shadowing, because the clinic wouldn't let me do anything. Turns out once you're a vet student you have tons of opportunities to gain those skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can do them on dogs and cats, but I have never done one and it scares me a little. Lol. But not as much as the idea of sticking a needle in a horse to draw blood! Easy to hit, sure, but also easy to get stepped on! I know it's not (usually) like that, but hey. Irrational fears. :hungover:

The first draw the my teacher-tech had me do was a jug. It's her favorite, and I'm quite partial to it as well, now. Definitely intimidating at first, though!

I know you can do them on dogs and cats, but I have never done one and it scares me a little. Lol. But not as much as the idea of sticking a needle in a horse to draw blood! Easy to hit, sure, but also easy to get stepped on! I know it's not (usually) like that, but hey. Irrational fears. :hungover:

Hah, you think it'd be easy to hit, but sometimes they can be terribly tricky. Especially with a wiggly horse. It's funny though, because I think a lot of it depends on your approach. My vet can be a little gruff sometimes, and I think he makes my horses nervous. My one almost always gives him a little trouble when he goes to sedate them for teeth floating and stuff. However, I went to draw a little blood from her one time and I just quietly went in while she was in her stall eating her hay, popped the needle in, got the blood I needed, and away I went. She barely seemed to notice.

That being said, I've never taken blood from a small animal before. That makes me a little nervous. I'm always waiting for a dog to get pissed and go apesh** on someone!

Sorry to add to your fears, but it is actually easy to hit the carotid if you don't know what your doing. That was a big argument against the layperson teeth floaters. There have been cases where they either missed the jug and hit the carotid or went through the jug and hit the carotid and administered injectible drugs which can fatal.

Sorry to add to your fears, but it is actually easy to hit the carotid if you don't know what your doing. That was a big argument against the layperson teeth floaters. There have been cases where they either missed the jug and hit the carotid or went through the jug and hit the carotid and administered injectible drugs which can fatal.

Yeah, my vet actually as a rule inserts a needle pointing downwards (when he's injecting, not when drawing), to avoid this. I honestly forget at the moment what the point of this is; I think he said if you point it downward and you get a big spurt of blood as opposed to a little dribble, you've hit the carotid.

Yeah, I know that's a risk too - but at this point, I'm still worried enough about getting stepped on or kicked that I haven't even thought past the part where you stab them with something pointy and they retaliate. ;)

Speaking of jugular draws, a week ago I was taking blood on a piglet and I hit the vagus nerve. The poor thing went into respiratory distress and turned blue! It was laying there for several minutes gasping for air--I felt awful! I've probably bled over 100 pigs and I've never hit that before. Luckily, he recovered, and I'll be more careful from now on. No one had told me this was possible. My advisor said he neglects to tell people because he thinks it makes them too careful, and then they can never hit the vein. :rolleyes: I think I'd much rather have known.

The neck is a scary place. :scared:

Ah, I see, thanks. It's just another one of those things I find myself ruminating over when I get on the forum and everyone already seems to be an expert :p

Ruminating? I never heard that term but it's handy! Thanks. :)

Ruminating? I never heard that term but it's handy! Thanks. :)
To ruminate is a term borrowed from cows and other ruminant animals who partially digest their food through the help of bacteria in the largest compartment of their stomachs, the rumen (ruminants do NOT have 4 stomachs, folks), then regurgitate it, chew it further, and swallow it. In human discourse, it means to think or reflect deeply.

I love languages =D /thread hijack

To ruminate is a term borrowed from cows and other ruminant animals who partially digest their food through the help of bacteria in the largest compartment of their stomachs, the rumen (ruminants do NOT have 4 stomachs, folks), then regurgitate it, chew it further, and swallow it. In human discourse, it means to think or reflect deeply.

LOL. Love it.

Yeah, I know that's a risk too - but at this point, I'm still worried enough about getting stepped on or kicked that I haven't even thought past the part where you stab them with something pointy and they retaliate. ;)

It it makes you feel better, I've been stepped on umphteen times by horses, and it's usually not that bad. Their feet are so big that the pressure gets distributed over a lot of surface area, and if you're at the barn you better be wearing boots anyway. Not nearly as painful as when I got stomped with someone's stilettos!!

It it makes you feel better, I've been stepped on umphteen times by horses, and it's usually not that bad. Their feet are so big that the pressure gets distributed over a lot of surface area, and if you're at the barn you better be wearing boots anyway. Not nearly as painful as when I got stomped with someone's stilettos!!

So true! I had my foot broken in six places by a character shoe during a musical performance.

Just make sure they're fully conscious when they step on you. I had a sedated one step on me this summer. Since he was sleepy he put all his weight on it. Also since he was sleepy, it was extaordinarily difficult to get him off my foot. It took some cadjoling but I finally freed my foot, and to this day there's a section of it that is completely numb. I'm guessing nerve damage =D

When I was hired at an SA clinic, I think they thought my lack of experience and desire to learn was a plus. They paid me less and supplemented with training, which I was pretty grateful for.

I'm really excited to continue acquiring experience once in vet school! I hadn't even thought about the fact that it will be easier to get hired as a vet student!:)

It's like...a metaphor isn't it? Instead of chewing and rechewing feed you're using the term to represent processing and reprocessing an idea.

Yes, basically. It's like "burning" through money. You don't actually burn it. :)