derm big-shots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tv1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there:)

Ive read that some people think that a good LOR from a derm head honcho is just about the best thing for your application...

Now my question is: how do you know who is a big-shot??
Could someone please provide the rest of us with a quick list of institutions/individuals that have this kind of status?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I won't mention specific names, however, the programs that are regarded as being top tier (with excellent and important faculty) can be listed in no particular order:
NYU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Harvard
BU/Tufts

Of course, there are some I may not have mentioned.

The best way to get "in the game" is to make as many friends as possible. This is how you can find out who is a "head-honcho" (as you put it).
I sugest by starting out at your home program, get them to like you and then try to branch out on an away elective.

I must say, however, that everyone else will know who these names are and will also be searching for letters. I suggest finding a well-known person who can get to really know you. Because, honestly, the greatest academic derm person can write you a letter saying:"I worked w/Mr/Ms. Smith for 1 day and he/she seems really nice." That pales in comparison to a lesser-known derm who can vouge for you by saying "this student is the best applicant I have ever seen...I know this b/c we worked closely for one month" or "he/she helped me tremendously in my research for 3months".

Good luck.

Obviously, a GREAT LoR from a GREAT doc. is GREAT... But also consider why: They're highly demanding and can be difficult to get under the skin (excuse the pun). Would agree with previous poster that it, for a number of reasons, in fact can be better to get a "2nd tier" to know you well, rather than to seek out a short time with a head honcho in a big department, who's away on invited lecures and writing on book no. 35 most of the time. That being said, if you want names, a quick and dirty way is to take one of the directors of the Derm board. Usually, it's a fairly safe bet that they're well recognized.
http://www.abderm.org/about/officers.html