Derm Compensation ($)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2019 MGMA median midwest derm salary is at $510k.
Would you happen to have the rest of those numbers? Because that's significantly higher than years past (with no cause or explanation, it's not like insurance is paying us more these days).

Members don't see this ad.

Damn you guys really need to take a cut before any other field that’s crazy high

Haha, I’m sure that’ll be a popular statement on this board. The hospital and PE CEOs are who needs a cut. We work for our money. Lol

Reactions: 10 users
Damn you guys really need to take a cut before any other field that’s crazy high

I find it so odd that you hang out at this board just to broadcast your jealousy on a semi regular basis.

Anyway, cutting down each other doesn’t have to be the way of the world. Save that for the RUC meetings. The non-physician overlords enjoy having us bicker about our small pieces of the pie while they gorge themselves nightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately don't have those averages but median for the east is $392k. I'm sure a lot of that is skewed by Boston/NYC etc. so should be fairly higher in NJ or CT. Sorry about that!

Reactions: 1 user
2019 MGMA median midwest derm salary is at $510k.

I work in the Midwest and can’t imagine that number is correct. I definitely knows lots of people who make that much money (or more) in general dermatology, but I’d suspect the median salary is definitely closer to the lower 400s. I’d have to see the methods/# of providers surveyed, but don’t believe this.

Reactions: 2 users
I work in the Midwest and can’t imagine that number is correct. I definitely knows lots of people who make that much money (or more) in general dermatology, but I’d suspect the median salary is definitely closer to the lower 400s. I’d have to see the methods/# of providers surveyed, but don’t believe this.
Agreed; something is definitely amiss with that figure.

I think it includes benefits (retirement, etc) as part of the total compensation figure.

The median for mohs is 910k? What in the **** are those guys doing? Printing money?

Working for that money.

I'd advise shadowing a Mohs surgeon making that kind of money before judging.

How do you think they make that much? They perform a profitable procedure and do it a lot of times in one day. Repeat 4-5x/week.

We can all look on enviously at that number. I do Mohs myself. Assuming these aren't all chip shot cases, I wouldn't want the stress (or the overhead) of doing 15-20 Mohs cases/day with the repairs and the post-op complications that can result from those closures.

Reactions: 1 users
The median for mohs is 910k? What in the **** are those guys doing? Printing money?
That was for midwest only and realistically probably had a super small sample size. The MGMA data can vary dramatically year to year especially with the 90th % numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)

Working for that money.

How do you think they make that much? They perform a profitable procedure and do it a lot of times in one day. Repeat 4-5x/week.

We can all look on enviously at that number. I do Mohs myself. Assuming these aren't all chip shot cases, I wouldn't want the stress (or the overhead) of doing 15-20 Mohs cases/day with the repairs and the post-op complications that can result from those closures.

This is the median which means some are making like 1.5-2 million...the AVERAGE is making near 1 million..that’s crazy

Money didn't print today... :eek: Printing machine got jammed and paper didn't line up right. Obama portrait on that $3000 bills I was trying to print looks crooked. Had to burn the whole batch.

Will try again tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the median which means some are making like 1.5-2 million...the AVERAGE is making near 1 million..that’s crazy

1) Not sure why that is crazy. If there is volume, one would expect compensation to follow. The midwest is a vague descriptor but multiple places in the midwest can have problems attracting a Mohs surgeon. If you are the only one in town and you're plowing through the surgeries, I don't see what the crazy part is.

2) Median is not the same as average...

I’m skeptical of those numbers. Those million dollar plus salaries are highly unlikely unless you operate out of a surgery center (which is almost impossible to get accredited now a days) and more than likely have a fellow or mid level doing half your closures and billing under your name. Not to mention you need a very large office with a lot of staff, all contributing to a high overhead. And a huge referral basis to keep yourself fed with cases.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, we derms are overpaid. But all the orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, plastic surgeons, radiologists, and ophthalmologists are paid appropriately. Same with professional athletes. Somehow, just with us dermatologists, somebody screwed up the metric and we all just lucked out big time. I mean, we are just glorified cosmetologists after all.

Reactions: 3 users
I do find some of the numbers in that survey a bit difficult to believe.

For example, anesthesia pain management is listed ~400k in the west and Midwest.... I know a lot of those guys as friends and they routinely break a million...

Mohs seems a little high. I’m guessing more like 750-800k average Midwest, 650-700 west.

That being said mgma always seems somewhat high compared to other surveys and I wonder if sometimes their numbers are skewed high or low based on their selection bias.

Working for that money.

Yes, I look at our practice balance sheet regularly - the number of mohs cases it takes to generate that take-home pay is a lot.

What’s hard to believe is that the average mohs guy in the Midwest does that many tumors a day. Sounds like a ton and not the average unless they have an amazing payer mix or doing 4 stages every case. As we know, most of mohs is Medicare.

Last edited:
Dunning Kruger, alive and well with students (and politicians) everywhere.

Make that flourishing.

What r u talking about lol

When you have a medical student coming to a specialty board commenting on how dermatologists are getting paid too much and deserve a pay cut, it is borderline trolling. We shouldn't even be expending energy on this discussion.

Back to printing more bills.

When you have a medical student coming to a specialty board commenting on how dermatologists are getting paid too much and deserve a pay cut, it is borderline trolling. We shouldn't even be expending energy on this discussion.

Apologies, I didn't have time to respond to that yesterday -- they sent the damn small armored truck -- AGAIN! and I had to go back to the wheelbarrows of money. Ugh.

I think he might be a psych resident, but has not changed his profile.

I think he might be a psych resident, but has not changed his profile.

Nonetheless, this is a final warning. It is against the TOS to come to a specialty forum with the intent of starting trouble.

If the pay of dermatologists troubles him/her, join us or join the RUC. Whining here solves nothing.

Does anyone know what the MGMA data for the northeast is?

Those MGMA numbers sound high to me especially for new grads. When I was interviewing for positions recently average base was ~300-420k starting for 4-4.5days/wk. Alternatively collections usually closer to 40-45%. Salaries can be much lower in very saturated areas (and higher in less desirable locations).

On the interview trail academic institutions seem to favor AAMC over MGMA compensation data. Anyone know AAMC numbers for NJ, VA, or CT?

On the interview trail academic institutions seem to favor AAMC over MGMA compensation data. Anyone know AAMC numbers for NJ, VA, or CT?
Do they publish data that way?
This is all I could find, the source seems to be behind a paywall:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I bet they do!

(then expect you to produce at MGMA levels until you wise up and figure out the worthless title conveyed is worthless)

Email AAMC to have them link your account to your institution so you get access to the report for $40 for 1 year (if your institution contributes data). Not surprisingly, the numbers are way lower than MGMA and AMGA data.

Last edited: