Derm for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunz81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished med school from a foreign school and I'm really interested in Derm. I know it's really hard to get into, but is it even a waste to apply? I havent even taken my steps yet, but I'm pretty confident that my scores will be pretty good. I also plan on doing some research before applying. What I wanna know is, what else I can do to improve my resume. I also wanna know if I should just find another field that sparks my interest. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Sunz81 said:
I just finished med school from a foreign school and I'm really interested in Derm. I know it's really hard to get into, but is it even a waste to apply? I havent even taken my steps yet, but I'm pretty confident that my scores will be pretty good. I also plan on doing some research before applying. What I wanna know is, what else I can do to improve my resume. I also wanna know if I should just find another field that sparks my interest. Any suggestions?
The best advice to you is to find another field which sparks your interest.
"Pretty Good" scores and "some research" will not help you.You are competeing against many of the very top US grads.A few IMGs do match into Derm but unless you have serious reserch credentials and great connections its unlikely to happen.If there is any other specialty that can possibly interest you ..your time will be more productively spent pursuing it.

ny skindoc said:
The best advice to you is to find another field which sparks your interest.
"Pretty Good" scores and "some research" will not help you.You are competeing against many of the very top US grads.A few IMGs do match into Derm but unless you have serious reserch credentials and great connections its unlikely to happen.If there is any other specialty that can possibly interest you ..your time will be more productively spent pursuing it.

Ouch!

I think if you're 100% you want to do derm, it is in your own best interest to go to an osteopathic school, do well, and apply to osteopathic derm programs only. They're still super-competitive but at least you'll be considered if you're a strong applicant. Ok, I'm out...

Statistics shows, that some (very few) IMGs do match into Derm, but they're almost invariably very highly qualified, both in terms of previous Derm or Derm-related work experience and research. If you have "some" research, you'd need more than stellar USMLE scores to compete with an extremely competitive applicant pool. Frankly, unless you have something truly unique to offer, you might have to look at other options...