1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Derm Journals

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by youngin, Apr 7, 2007.

1. youngin

youngin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What are the top dermatology journals or ones that are ideal to publish in (ex. cell biology, nature)? I was searching through the forum and did not see journal of investigative dermatology and was not sure how it compared to others.

On a more general note, how significant is publishing a basic science research paper as a third author (or fourth, maybe second) especially in comparison to case reports?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DCDERM

Resident [Any Field]
    This question, I feel, may best be divided into 2 categories:
    academia and practicality.

For a derm resident, the must read journals are:
    JAAD, Archives, Derm Surg, Pedi Derm +/- Cutis, J of Drugs in Derm, Cosmetic Derm (and I may add that Derm Times and Skin&Allergy publications are nice summaries as well)

Those in Academia may feel that the following are necessary:JAAD, BJD, JID, Archives

Let it be known that the JID is a very respectable publication for basic science. However, I can never seem to get past the abstract of the 1st article I try to read in it. It does have a nice 2-page summary of important articles in the beginning that may ultimately wind up on future boards/inservices.

As for what to publish and where to submit, my first recommendation to those future applicants is to publish in respectable journals as frequently as you can. Furthermore, 3 case reports in Cutis do not equal a long basic science project that eventuates in publication in the JID (despite where your name falls on the author list) nor will a review in a throw-away journal equal a CME in the JAAD. Non-derm publications may add to your CV depending on content/place (articles in the Lancet or Nature, I assure you, will not be frowned upon come interview day).

Obviously, the examples I mention take a lot of time, which is why many must take a year or two off before applying. I will add that published articles are almost always better than not having anything published or submitted.

4. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you get a paper accepted in NEJM, even as the 9th author, be happy. (best journal around, methinks).
    While I understand the specific questions, it's difficult to answer specifically.
    Personally, I would value a secondary authorship in a high-impact journal higher than a (first author) case report in a second-tier Derm journal, but others might very likely disagree.
    As pertains getting a Residency, most program directors would look for:
    A) Evidence of interest in the field of Dermatology
    B) Evidence of research experience.
    Obviously, combining A and B is great. And case reports are a nice starting point. However, evidence of substantial contribution to a high-impact paper is basically always a strong plus, even if it's not specifically related to Derm.

Do note that Derm by tradition, and the fact that most residency spots are at academic centers, fairly biased towards a research component. However, Derm research is a very wide field, from basic sci and animal models over clinical trials to epidemiology, so there's ample opportunity to get involved in research, also as a medical student.