Apr 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
First of all, I am new to the Derm board. The reason is that before recently, I was dead set on Ophthalmology because I have a practice to take over.

But, I have recently been having a bunch of doubt about whether or not I really like Ophthalmology, the Private Practice setting.

One specialty that I know I like is Derm. My ideal situation would be Derm working in a group or University or something. But, I have to wait until the end of next year to find out what I get on step 1 to even see if Derm is an option. Anyways, to the question at hand. As an undergraduate, I volunteered in a Derm lab and also shadowed the Doctor in charge of that lab. She wrote me a killer LOR for Medical School.

My question is, should I maybe try to shadow her during my 3rd year and get a letter from her again? Or is it better to get a letter from somebody that you did rotations with? She is part of the University Hospital where I attend medical school, but she doesn't ever have MSIII or MSIV's up with her, possibly because she is MD/PHD and most of her time is spent in the lab.

Thanks!

N-Surge

Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
First of all, I am new to the Derm board. The reason is that before recently, I was dead set on Ophthalmology because I have a practice to take over.

But, I have recently been having a bunch of doubt about whether or not I really like Ophthalmology, the Private Practice setting.

One specialty that I know I like is Derm. My ideal situation would be Derm working in a group or University or something. But, I have to wait until the end of next year to find out what I get on step 1 to even see if Derm is an option. Anyways, to the question at hand. As an undergraduate, I volunteered in a Derm lab and also shadowed the Doctor in charge of that lab. She wrote me a killer LOR for Medical School.

My question is, should I maybe try to shadow her during my 3rd year and get a letter from her again? Or is it better to get a letter from somebody that you did rotations with? She is part of the University Hospital where I attend medical school, but she doesn't ever have MSIII or MSIV's up with her, possibly because she is MD/PHD and most of her time is spent in the lab.

Thanks!
I really think you might have more to gain by continuing research with her with maybe a pub out of it. A research slanted LOR would make sense if you were a Mud-Phud, or even a MS student on top of your MD student appointment. But I am not sure how far these fly for those who are not. Then again, I can't see why it wouldn't hurt if you truly are going for academics in the end.

In general, you want to have LORs from docs who are able to confidently say something positive about your clinical demeanor, from people whom you have worked with side by side in the clinic for at least a month. I really think it takes this sort of time for people to really get to know you. Think of it like dating. No joke! Now I am starting to talk like LD... :)