Derm LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the strongest combinations of LORs are for derm...I know it's different in every field. I've heard that it's crucial to have 3 strong letters from famous people in derm specifically.

Since derm is a specialty, there are not that many chances for derm rotations. If you are doing a home derm rotation and an away rotation, would you automatically ask for LORs from the directors of these two programs? Would 3 derm rotations be ideal for filling LORs? Would 2 clinical derms and 1 research derm be great as well? Just wondering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering what the strongest combinations of LORs are for derm...I know it's different in every field. I've heard that it's crucial to have 3 strong letters from famous people in derm specifically.

Since derm is a specialty, there are not that many chances for derm rotations. If you are doing a home derm rotation and an away rotation, would you automatically ask for LORs from the directors of these two programs? Would 3 derm rotations be ideal for filling LORs? Would 2 clinical derms and 1 research derm be great as well? Just wondering. Thanks.

I'll take a stab at it.
1. yes
2. Sure why not the more the better. But you could also ask several people at one rotation for letters as well to get 3.
3. Sounds like a good combo to me.

I had 2 derm letters, 1 family med, and 1 path letter so different combinations can work as well. Or maybe I could've gotten more interviews if i had 3 derm letters, not sure though.