derm question - pullin out hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshua_msu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had this bet with my friend that if you pull out your hair on your head and that little root thing on the end comes out too, hair will still grow in its place. she seems to think that once you pull out hair, no more hair will ever regrow there. its a long story, but hopefully one of you derm guys can answer this for me.

Members don't see this ad.

It grows back. Ask your friend if she plucks her eyebrows....then ask her why she thinks she must keep plucking them every few weeks in order to avoid a unibrow.

I don't know the mechanism but eventually the hair will no longer grow back, at least in some areas. How many women do you see who must pencil in their brows because they have no growth now? Also trichotillomania sufferers can end up with permanent bald spots, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hair usually grows back after being pulled. My guess is that with consistent re-plucking the tissue of the root (ie. cells) are irreparably damaged either by 1) scarring of tissue wherby the repair mechanism leaves new cells/proteins which simply inhibit self renewal of the root, or 2) stem cells responsible for regenerating some or all of the root cells are yanked out along with the root and nothing is left to regenerate. This implies that appropriate surrounding dermal stem cells are not able to migrate to the location of the yanked hair in order to cause regeneration.

But I'm not a dermatologist, or a doctor. Its just a guess.

I would do anything to have my hair stopp growing. IF that was true for me I would wax myself every 3 or 4 days. I think i will have to wait to start making some money then possibly i will be able to afford laser or electrolosis.