Derm Related Activities for Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a pre-med interested in derm, is it a good idea to volunteer with Camp Discovery over the summer? I've been trying to volunteer with them for the past 2 summers but my internship always conflict with their schedule.

Derm Residents/Attendings, what are your thoughts on this? How about the Skin of Color Society Research Meetings as well as AAD research conferences, so we can observe and learn about derm-related research?

Thanks Dermocrat88

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a pre-med interested in derm, is it a good idea to volunteer with Camp Discovery over the summer? I've been trying to volunteer with them for the past 2 summers but my internship always conflict with their schedule.

Derm Residents/Attendings, what are your thoughts on this? How about the Skin of Color Society Research Meetings as well as AAD research conferences, so we can observe and learn about derm-related research?

Thanks Dermocrat88

I would recommend doing it only if you are interested in being a volunteer. If you are doing it to impress people in dermatology, it would be a waste of time. I do not think attending conferences will be beneficial either.

As a pre-med, your goal is to get into medical school. Once in medical school, you can worry about getting into residency.

I would recommend doing it only if you are interested in being a volunteer. If you are doing it to impress people in dermatology, it would be a waste of time. I do not think attending conferences will be beneficial either.

As a pre-med, your goal is to get into medical school. Once in medical school, you can worry about getting into residency.

Ok thank you and I've always wanted to volunteer with Camp Discovery because the kids there are suffering from chronic skin diseases and even though my skin disease is not that bad, eczema, I really want to be an emotional support system for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with small child. AAD and SOC society will be a waste of your time and money. Camp discovery is a great idea. They get a ton of apps from MS3s and 4s as well as people who have severe skin disease themselves so it can be competitive believe it or not.

Don't bother with Camp Discovery. You're not even in med school yet. Focus on what is going to get you into med school -- ie, basic grades, research, longer-term humanitarian efforts -- rather than one-off, one-week stints which look glaringly obvious that you're stroking the derm ego.

Get into med school and then go from there. I know very few derm residents who actually did Camp Discovery and two out of the three I know were disgustingly smarmy. Everyone else did other stuff and matched fine.

BTW when you wax on about your eczema motivating you to go to Camp Discovery, you'll get plenty of eye-rolls. You won't even know the basics about the more serious skin conditions that you'll find there. And you'll be crowded out by the residents who do know something.

Save your energy.

(Don't go crying into the wilderness. This is blunt talk from the DM. Appreciate it.)

Don't bother with Camp Discovery. You're not even in med school yet. Focus on what is going to get you into med school -- ie, basic grades, research, longer-term humanitarian efforts -- rather than one-off, one-week stints which look glaringly obvious that you're stroking the derm ego.

Get into med school and then go from there. I know very few derm residents who actually did Camp Discovery and two out of the three I know were disgustingly smarmy. Everyone else did other stuff and matched fine.

BTW when you wax on about your eczema motivating you to go to Camp Discovery, you'll get plenty of eye-rolls. You won't even know the basics about the more serious skin conditions that you'll find there. And you'll be crowded out by the residents who do know something.

Save your energy.

(Don't go crying into the wilderness. This is blunt talk from the DM. Appreciate it.)

:laugh: Thank you DM and no I won't cry in the wilderness, lol. I am studying for my MCAT and I already graduated from college this year. Currently, I am on a Fulbright Fellowship and so far I think I am competitive for medical school :D. Now, I am focusing on my MCAT and volunteer opportunity to do over my summer break before I return back to Korea for an extension of my Fulbright Fellowship.

I've been looking into Camp Discovery for several summers now but I never had the chance to volunteer because of my research opportunities, such as Merck and MHIRT.

Thanks for the tough love doc! :cool:

Last edited:
:laugh: Thank you DM and no I won't cry in the wilderness, lol. I am studying for my MCAT and I already graduated from college this year. Currently, I am on a Fulbright Fellowship and so far I think I am competitive for medical school :D. Now, I am focusing on my MCAT and volunteer opportunity to do over my summer break before I return back to Korea for an extension of my Fulbright Fellowship.

I've been looking into Camp Discovery for several summers now but I never had the chance to volunteer because of my research opportunities, such as Merck and MHIRT.

Thanks for the tough love doc! :cool:

Lawlz...gotta love the attitude of youn' ones...Ah well....