Derm research project!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
k

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How about a case study: removing moles with a butter knife vs. a pair of needle nose pliers.

I need a few ideas about a research project that a friend must complete by summer, she is working with a Dermatologist at a top school and she is currently an undergrad. The Dr asked her to come up with her own project, does anyone have any suggestions for a possible research project that would be easy for an undergrad to complete within 2 months regarding derm?

Thank you!

Does the this Dermatologist have a lab or is he/she otherwise involved in an area of research? Something within that realm would be best, if yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gunning for Derm as an undergrad? Impressive...

A retrospective chart review study can usually be done in 2 months...

The Dr. researches in dermatoxicology and penetration of the skin, if that helps! :) And I don't think she is gunning for derm, it's just gonna be a good experience b.c the Dr teaches at the school she wants to attend. I'm so jealous lol

Start by reading review articles relevant to PI's work.

People on this board seem to care a lot about their friends' business. :lame: lol you're not fooling anyone.

yes some people actually have friends, friends that they help :p Is that such a hard concept? My friend doesn't have an account, so I asked for her. I have summer school so I don't have the luxury of this research project, which happening in a completely different city than my own.

A retrospective chart review study can usually be done in 2 months...

Depending on one's experience, this is very true and would be your best bet for a quick project, hands-down. Alternatively, a review can be done quickly, but yields less impact and bears no "original work." It's usually done as a preparatory step to an original project.

EDIT: To be more specific, a retrospective chart review examining the effectiveness of a new procedure via a quality of life/pain status dependent variable at follow-up would be ideal. It depends on what you have to work with and your interests. The biggest challenge as an undergrad is to find a suitable topic that will provide relevant and useful data to the academic community. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will let her know about the retro chart! So all she would do is contact patients who used a specific product and ask them their results?

Thank you, I will let her know about the retro chart! So all she would do is contact patients who used a specific product and ask them their results?

Awww, that's so cute ^.^

No, you just read charts and look at outcomes or whatever it is you're trying to gather. The chart has in there info about initial visit/treatment plan/treatment/follow-up so you just use that. no need to contact patients haha. it's wicked easy....the actually paper can be tough though...

Not quite. She will need to go through the dermatologist to get approval from the institutions ethic's committee first. It is much easier to do this (you can get a waiver) if it doesn't involve actually contacting the patients (meaning, the data you need is in the charts).