Dermatology Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmD1988

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everybody,

Im a pre-pharmacy student starting my P1 this fall and i know this might be early to ask but is there such thing as a dermatology pharmacy? can a pharmacist work in a dermatology clinic? (handle medications, compound, etc.) or does the dermatologist and their assistants do all that? are there any PGY-1 or PGY-2 programs out there that have some emphasis on dermatology pharmacy. any advice would be appreciated
 
Last edited:
hey everybody,

Im a pre-pharmacy student starting my P1 this fall and i know this might be early to ask but is there such thing as a dermatology pharmacy? what i mean is that can a pharmacist work in a dermatology clinic? (handle medications, compound, etc.) or does the dermatologist and their assistants do all that? are there any PGY-1 or PGY-2 programs out there that have some emphasis on dermatology pharmacy. any advice would be appreciated

The closest thing I can think of to a dermatology pharmacist would be a compounding pharmacist that deals with a large population of dermatology patients. I don't think there would be too much demand, or need, for a pharmacist working specifically in a dermatology clinic (which isn't to say that this isn't possible, but I don't think it's very likely).

If you're interested in derm-onc, you might find a way to get involved through an oncology residency. I know of a few pharmacists who specialize in the treatment of dermatologic malignancies and do a fair bit of research in that field. I don't think this is what you were looking for necessarily, but figured I'd throw it out there.
 
Could work as a pharmacist in a health spa and mix a bunch of random crap together to sell for hundreds.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know of a few pharmacists that own Medi-spa/botox/comestics kinds of places. Pretty lucrative, I bet.




Definitely...I'm doing compounding rotation right now and we compound a lot of retinoic acid creams, phentermine , HCG, HRT creams , and thyroid hormones. I have made only one prevacid drop for a baby in the past 3 wks that I have been there. The business is very very lucrative, all cash patients no insurance accepted.