Dermatology programs internationally!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diagnostician_11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was recently informed that as a foreign grad my chances in dermatology are impossible! Alright, but I've graduated in the middle east and I need to travel outside to obtain a residency. Can anyone tell me if there's a specific country that teaches medicine in english where I can have some luck in? It's really annoying where you feel that the only thing you got passion for is way impossible to get!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was recently informed that as a foreign grad my chances in dermatology are impossible! Alright, but I've graduated in the middle east and I need to travel outside to obtain a residency. Can anyone tell me if there's a specific country that teaches medicine in english where I can have some luck in? It's really annoying where you feel that the only thing you got passion for is way impossible to get!

Most of the threads/posts here pertain to US programs unfortunately. I would check with past graduates from your school who have gone into dermatology to see where they've had success matching?

Most of the threads/posts here pertain to US programs unfortunately. I would check with past graduates from your school who have gone into dermatology to see where they've had success matching?
I've graduated from KSA. The thing is, I'm not a citizen. the only welcoming country in europe where you can match at almost any speciality is Germany as far as I know. But the language and studying medicine in german isn't gonna be easy when the middle east uses english for medical language!! USA was a good call but then I've realized how impossible it is in derma! Italy, france, and other countries aren't an option. You need to finish med school their in order to compete. But being a foreign grad is a red flag when it comes to competitive specialities. Why don't they just make a certain high tuition fee for dermatology program in case a non-US doctor wants to match in. Use the money he pays in the hospital research labs or so!! Give more chances for doctors and invest the money they pay!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've graduated from KSA. The thing is, I'm not a citizen. the only welcoming country in europe where you can match at almost any speciality is Germany as far as I know. But the language and studying medicine in german isn't gonna be easy when the middle east uses english for medical language!! USA was a good call but then I've realized how impossible it is in derma! Italy, france, and other countries aren't an option. You need to finish med school their in order to compete. But being a foreign grad is a red flag when it comes to competitive specialities. Why don't they just make a certain high tuition fee for dermatology program in case a non-US doctor wants to match in. Use the money he pays in the hospital research labs or so!! Give more chances for doctors and invest the money they pay!!

You are welcome to bring that suggestion to the ACGME office. These are unfortunately the rules that FMGs have to play by.

I've googled it thank you. But it gives a doctorate degree in dermatology. If I did that program can I re apply for a board residency and be more eligible? Thanks a lot btw

The program is designed for trainees to return to their home country to practice dermatology. You would have to check with your local medical board to see if they will accept either the 2 or 4 year degree. Please do a search on IMGs attempting to match US derm residency positions. There is plenty of info that doesn't need to be repeated here.