Dermatology Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in my 3rd year of FM residency.
I'm a DO, completing an ACGME residency.
Any idea on how difficult it would be to somehow get into an ACGME or AOA Dermatology residency program following board-certification and graduation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Probably fairly difficult. You need to find a program/hospital that is willing to cover the cost of your training since CMS will not.

There are Dermatology fellowships post FM residency, correct? Have you considered those?

Probably fairly difficult. You need to find a program/hospital that is willing to cover the cost of your training since CMS will not.

There are Dermatology fellowships post FM residency, correct? Have you considered those?

I think only one. It's at UT-San Antonio I believe, rural derm fellowship.

I was under the impression that there have been individuals who did a residency prior to doing a derm one. Perhaps I've been mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think only one. It's at UT-San Antonio I believe, rural derm fellowship.

I was under the impression that there have been individuals who did a residency prior to doing a derm one. Perhaps I've been mistaken.

There are many. My co-chief for one. A third year in the program where I'm fellowing did prior residency. A resident where I did my away had done medicine residency prior. A resident at Emory did surgery before Derm.

Again though, your Medicaid funding is used up so you are not as attractive to a program in that regard.

It can definitely be done. Honestly though, if your goal is an ACGME residency, your likely biggest hurdle is the DO degree.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many. My co-chief for one. A third year in the program where I'm fellowing did prior residency. A resident where I did my away had done medicine residency prior. A resident at Emory did surgery before Derm.

Again though, your Medicaid funding is used up so you are not as attractive to a program in that regard.

It can definitely be done. Honestly though, if your goal is an ACGME residency, your likely biggest hurdle is the DO degree.

Last part is reasonable. If a program wants you, they will take you. It didn't matter for a large academic center in neurology nor did it matter for FM. Of course, there is a huge difference between neuro/FM and derm. I switched from a specialty to consider neuro vs. FM and opted for FM. I wanted more broad-based experience with regards to patient care.

I'd like to consider getting into med-derm type practice.

It's also why I am pretty open to AOA Dermatology. Anyone here with ideas?

Last edited: