Dermatology resident here. Ask me anything.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDoctorman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm coming back to SDN after a long hiatus because I've been getting a lot of family friends reaching out about helping their kids get into medical school lately and it reminded me just how much misinformation and common misunderstandings there are about the whole process. Having been on all sides of the process, I'd like to share what I now know. Let me know what questions you have - about premed, med school, residency, anything - and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m interested on matching Derm. or other competitive specialties. What did you do to help landa derm residency? If you don’t mind sharing -Step 1, research (pubs, posters, etc.), grades, and also what kind of program you are at (community vs. academic)? When did you begin research?

What is a typical day like in the life of a derm resident? I heard it is less stressful than other speciality or primary care residencies. However, I am not sure how much truth there is to this

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m interested on matching Derm. or other competitive specialties. What did you do to help landa derm residency? If you don’t mind sharing -Step 1, research (pubs, posters, etc.), grades, and also what kind of program you are at (community vs. academic)? When did you begin research?

I was late in deciding to do derm. Most people I applied with knew early on so could get much more involved with research whereas it was tough for me squeezing in 3rd year, which is the busiest year due to wards and clinical rotations. Still managed to squeeze a few presentations and publish case reports in the few months I had before applying. Got >260 on Step 1, mostly honors on rotations and few high pass. Academic program in highly desirable city.

If you are interested in a competitive specialty, I suggest using your time in first 1-2 years of medical school to explore and shadow as much as you can so you can get an idea what's out there. Your main focus will be on STEP1, as that has the potential to make or break your chances to more competitive residencies.

What is a typical day like in the life of a derm resident? I heard it is less stressful than other speciality or primary care residencies. However, I am not sure how much truth there is to this

During residency you are expected to see approx 1 patient every 15-30 min, as per most other outpatient based specialties that I rotated through. Cases range from simple to highly complex. There are days or half days dedicated to surgeries and excisions. It's less stressful than some other specialties in that most problems are non-acute, but otherwise I wouldn't say its too different.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you go to a very prestigious medical school? How much do you think the strength of one's med school helps in matching derm?

Last edited:
Did you go to a very prestigious medical school? How important do you think the strength of one's med school helps in matching derm?

I went to a top 10 school per the US News, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference. Main thing to focus on is doing well at whatever school you're at (ie. STEP1, clinical rotations). However, it does help to have a home department in the specialty that you are interested in, otherwise it can be tough to get exposure and mentorship.

What attracted you to derm, other than lifestyle and pay? What makes it a complex specialty? From the outside looking in, it seems rather simple. For example, when I went to my derm appointment, I didn’t even see the MD, just the PA who treated me.

What attracted you to derm, other than lifestyle and pay? What makes it a complex specialty? From the outside looking in, it seems rather simple. For example, when I went to my derm appointment, I didn’t even see the MD, just the PA who treated me.

Neither lifestyle nor pay were reasons I chose derm, but welcome bonuses for doing something I love. When choosing my specialty, I considered what I'm good at, what I'm interested in, what the patients are like, what my colleagues would be like, and the day-to-day activities. I'm a highly visual and hands-on person, so surgical/procedural specialties were always at the top of my list. I like making diagnoses that emphasize knowledge, experience, and physical exam without relying on lab tests or other doctors' interpretations all the time. In medicine, I felt like I was treating numbers and not a patient. In terms of patients, I wanted to work with all ages and all walks of life. People care a lot about their skin and are generally happy and compliant. The selling point for me was the people I met in derm, who were universally friendly, eager to teach, and ridiculously smart yet humble. I could go on and on, but this is just an overview.

Just like any field of medicine, there's a spectrum of disease. Simple atopic dermatitis (eczema), acne, and rashes can be treated by a PCP, however patients with more extensive or severe cases can be refractory to many treatments and require specialized knowledge of treatments beyond simple topical steroids. In addition, there is a ton of dermatoses, autoimmune and rheumatological conditions, drug reactions, malignancies, and more that most doctors have never even heard of. Sadly, I have seen cases where patients have been misdiagnosed by their PCP and were on incorrect medications for years before seeing a dermatologist and having their condition properly identified.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither lifestyle nor pay were reasons I chose derm, but welcome bonuses for doing something I love. When choosing my specialty, I considered what I'm good at, what I'm interested in, what the patients are like, what my colleagues would be like, and the day-to-day activities. I'm a highly visual and hands-on person, so surgical/procedural specialties were always at the top of my list. I like making diagnoses that emphasize knowledge, experience, and physical exam without relying on lab tests or other doctors' interpretations all the time. In medicine, I felt like I was treating numbers and not a patient. In terms of patients, I wanted to work with all ages and all walks of life. People care a lot about their skin and are generally happy and compliant. The selling point for me was the people I met in derm, who were universally friendly, eager to teach, and ridiculously smart yet humble. I could go on and on, but this is just an overview.

Just like any field of medicine, there's a spectrum of disease. Simple atopic dermatitis (eczema), acne, and rashes can be treated by a PCP, however patients with more extensive or severe cases can be refractory to many treatments and require specialized knowledge of treatments beyond simple topical steroids. In addition, there is a ton of dermatoses, autoimmune and rheumatological conditions, drug reactions, malignancies, and more that most doctors have never even heard of. Sadly, I have seen cases where patients have been misdiagnosed by their PCP and were on incorrect medications for years before seeing a dermatologist and having their condition properly identified.
Great answer, thanks.

I was interested in derm until I learned it was the hardest speciality to match into... Do you think it'll be easier to match into in the next 5 years?

I was interested in derm until I learned it was the hardest speciality to match into... Do you think it'll be easier to match into in the next 5 years?

I don't necessarily see it getting easier in the next 5 years; honestly the bar seems to be rising ever higher. However, don't let that discourage you! When you get to medical school, I recommend exploring the field early via shadowing or volunteer clinics and confirm if it's something you want to do. If you love it, you should go for it. While there are many superstars in dermatology, you don't necessarily need to be one to match.