Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giznut12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student going into dermatology. I have a few questions about the application process. I was planning on applying to both allopathic and osteopathic programs. I understand that unlike most specialities the osteopathic derm programs are not linked and require you to apply during your internship year. And the allopathic match for derm will take place during my fourth year. My question is...Is it even possible for me to apply to both since the osteopathic match (for internship) is earlier than the allopathic match? Will I be automatically withdrawn from the allopathic match if I match at an osteopathic intership? I am confused. If you can provide me with any advice on this issue, it will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

giznut12 said:
I am a third year medical student going into dermatology. I have a few questions about the application process. I was planning on applying to both allopathic and osteopathic programs. I understand that unlike most specialities the osteopathic derm programs are not linked and require you to apply during your internship year. And the allopathic match for derm will take place during my fourth year. My question is...Is it even possible for me to apply to both since the osteopathic match (for internship) is earlier than the allopathic match? Will I be automatically withdrawn from the allopathic match if I match at an osteopathic intership? I am confused. If you can provide me with any advice on this issue, it will be greatly appreciated.

If you are an osteopathic student, you can apply for both allopathic and osteopathic matches (allopathic students cannot apply for osteopathic residencies). If the osteopathic derm match is earlier than the allopathic and you match, you will be withdrawn from the allopathic match. However, it sounds as if when you match during medical school for the osteopathic match, you only do so for your Prelim year and do not match for the Derm positions until a year later - is that right? That might complicate things...perhaps someone more familiar with the process can answer as its obvious I don't know the answer! :laugh:

There is no shortage of traditional rotating DO internships. At any given time before July, you should be able to scramble into one.

In your case, the only traditional rotating DO internships worth matching into prior to the allopathic match are at the facilities that have derm. residencies, so you can start making a good impression (i.e. outperforming and out-ass-kissing the competition) for said slots.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are saying..just apply for the allopathic match first and if I don't match, then scramble for a trad. internship at an osteopathic program? That sounds like a good plan.

Thanks.

giznut12 said:
So you are saying..just apply for the allopathic match first and if I don't match, then scramble for a trad. internship at an osteopathic program? That sounds like a good plan.

Thanks.

More or less. The only catch is that the traditional internships at DO facilities with derm. programs (which are optimal) might be less easily obtained post-match, since those gunning for derm spots would have already filled them.