Dermpath - Ackerman Academy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgewbush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have specifics about the Ackerman Academy?
How is the program?
Quality of training
Benefits

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have specifics about the Ackerman Academy?
How is the program?
Quality of training
Benefits

Didnt Ackerman retire?

He had to a ton of money to spend and felt like he was running out of time....

Do they pay a normal salary now?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard (hearsay, however, so take that for what it's worth) they still have many fellowships, but they also have a lot of unofficial fellowships which people pay to do and don't really count (usually foreign pathologists for whom certification wouldn't mean much anyway but putting down that they trained at Ackerman can help them get business).

Ackerman also doesn't run things anymore but likely still shows up. And I have also heard some people say (although they may be jaded) that one should consider training there (nowadays) as a fellowship of last resort, unless of course your primary goal is to make money. I was just at ASDP meeting, and curiously noticed not a single poster or abstract from the Ackerman academy.

I have no personal axe to grind, I just find the whole thing rather fascinating so I tend to ask people about him and the academy. Every now and then I hear about some kind of verbal spat going on in the journals between Ackerman and someone else. I remain ever curious as to how one person can be so admired and yet so despised at the same time. I'm sure his admirers would call it jealousy, and his detractors would call it ego/arrogance.

I think if your goal is to get referrals from other pathologists, then training at Ackerman will be a big ding. If your goal is outpatient biz from dermatologists then it will help alot, even more than many of the traditional academic path powerhouses.

Does anyone else have any information on the AA?