MD Describe a hobby or activity...gaming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O 2 B A Gooner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am writing my secondaries and they are asking about a hobby or activity outside medicine in one of my secondaries....does gaming count. I played league matches during my high school, without compromising my grades and continued to do so as a hobby during my college. Would I be looked down upon if I say so? I don't want it to compromise my application but at the same time it truly taught me numerous things from playing team games.

Please enlighten me~!

Cheers~!

Members don't see this ad.

Gaming is awesome and i'm glad you enjoyed it. However, medicine remains a conservative profession so they look down on gaming, because it would seem you're lazy and a slacker (i don't agree with it but that's what it is). So i wouldn't mention it in your apps.

There are few exceptions where you could include gaming in your app, but you would have to be a nationally/internationally ranked player. Playing and winning a local tourney really isn't worth much.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like you could be the undisputed #1 ranked player in every competitive game and still have a 65 year old adcom throw your application in the trash because you spent that much time on video games. There's definitely a generational gap in thinking that there's anything remotely legitimate about gaming as more than a time sink. Maybe some would be fine with it, but I wouldn't risk it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like you could be the undisputed #1 ranked player in every competitive game and still have a 65 year old adcom throw your application in the trash because you spent that much time on video games. There's definitely a generational gap in thinking that there's anything remotely legitimate about gaming as more than a time sink. Maybe some would be fine with it, but I wouldn't risk it.

A 65 y/o adcom was in his 30s when the video games and arcade were going on a frenzy in the 1980s. He probably joined in the fun but don't want to admit it :naughty::naughty:

But yeah it's too risky to include it even though recent studies showed the benefits of gaming in surgical specialties (cue @mimelim and his da Vinci jailbreak)

Gaming is awesome and i'm glad you enjoyed it. However, medicine remains a conservative profession so they look down on gaming, because it would seem you're lazy and a slacker (i don't agree with it but that's what it is). So i wouldn't mention it in your apps.

There are few exceptions where you could include gaming in your app, but you would have to be a nationally/internationally ranked player. Playing and winning a local tourney really isn't worth much.
In that case wouldn't i have to be really good at some other hobby too? I guess i just picked the wrong hobby for the profession lol. Tbh it's kinda depressing and hard to think of some other hobby i can write and talk a LOT about! How about working on my skydiving certification? Or learning to play a tin whistle on my own ... Do i have to show them that i achieved something? Can't i have a hobby just for the sake of enjoying where I just learnt some stuff? I am also working on learning programming and writing small programs atm through Khan academy... Which would be the wise choice?? I can write equally for all three of these... Any suggestions that one might look better than the other for the 60 year olds haha :)

Please enlighten~! Thanks a lot gor your quick responses everyone!

So I am writing my secondaries and they are asking about a hobby or activity outside medicine in one of my secondaries....does gaming count. I played league matches during my high school, without compromising my grades and continued to do so as a hobby during my college. Would I be looked down upon if I say so? I don't want it to compromise my application but at the same time it truly taught me numerous things from playing team games.

Please enlighten me~!

Cheers~!

I used to play on the CSL team in my school and played against other universities in SC2 and LoL and played in local tournaments for money.

...and I still didn't write it.

I'm more open-minded about gaming now that universities are actually offering scholarships in them!

So go ahead, write it down.

Please enlighten me~!

Cheers~!