Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it may be helpful to applicants/students/others to list and/or describe a typical week of practice in your given setting. People don't need to keep my formatting, I just chose it bc it fits how I break down my time.
Setting: VA Hospital
Direct Pt Contact: 30-35 hrs./wk; outpatient psychotherapy with OEF/OIF veterans; one day out of week spent doing brief mental health screenings for polytrauma team
Notes/Report Writing: just brief process notes (psychotherapy) and screening write-ups pertinent to the above
Clinical Mtgs: 1-2 hr./wk
Consultation Time: Nothing formal...15-30 min/day informal discussions with other members of the team regarding specific cases
Administrative Paperwork:maybe 5 hrs.
Administrative Mtgs: 1hr
Research Mtgs: 0
Research Writing/Reading/Stat'ing: 4-8hr
Journal Reading/Review 3-5hr
Total Hrs/wk: ~50-60hr.
My only caveat is that I have a lot of flexibility in my wk, so I could cut down to 40-45hr/wk...but I'd miss out on a lot of really interesting research and related activities that I typically enjoy.