Describing experiences

Started by cbarne01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cbarne01

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...the way one words their EC descriptions does play a major role in an applicant "standing out" from the pack.

I'm looking for help with my descriptions but not having much luck when I search. Does anyone knows of resources?
Thanks!
 
I think they mean in VMCAS when you give descriptions of your vet/animal experiences.

I guess I disagree with whoever was quoted that it's a huge deal. I think as long as you write accurately and clearly it's fine. You don't get much space so it's not really a place for creative writing. Just put the same care and proofreading into them that you would for your PS.

It's been a while since I wrote mine but I think it was just something along the lines of "Prepared animals for surgery, monitored anesthesia, gave vaccinations and microchips, observed spay/neuter surgeries, and assisted vet in low-income outpatient clinic."

ETA: Something like this may be helpful so you aren't saying "assisted" and "gave" 2000 times!
http://www.bc.edu/offices/careers/skills/resumes/verbs.html
 
So far I have similar descriptions. I was wondering if anyone had tripped over suggestions for other ways to approach it. It just feels like I should be reflecting more or ... something.
Thanks!