Designating Rec Letters Through AADSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

je ne sais quoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
For those who have applied or can help me, i have a question about rec letters. So you send four letters to AADSAS yet every school has different requirements. Some want two sci professors, some three, some want another prof (if you are a non sci major), etc etc. What i want to know is, can you designate different letters to go to different schools? If so, how? I'm under the impression that AADSAS just sends the whole lot to every school.

Members don't see this ad.

Call aadsas on that one because aadsas only lets you submit a total of 4 letters of rec. Best solution would be to get a committee letter that will satisfy all of the requirements of every school. then you can submit one more letter as well.

If one school has a particularly different LOR requirement, you could probably just send the extra letter you need directly to them, I'd give them a call.

That's how it works with Loma Linda's "Spiritual Adviser" letter, you just send it to them directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent 2 sci, 1 arts (english, history, sociology whatever) and 1 dentist and that seemed to satisfy the majority of the requirements. If there is a school that requires a specific type of letter (tufts comes to mind with their specific prof types) then just send those separately to that individual school. AADSAS only takes 4 and sends for, so you can't send more than 4 and choose which goes to which school like you said.

I just sent 2 sci, 1 arts (english, history, sociology whatever) and 1 dentist and that seemed to satisfy the majority of the requirements. If there is a school that requires a specific type of letter (tufts comes to mind with their specific prof types) then just send those separately to that individual school. AADSAS only takes 4 and sends for, so you can't send more than 4 and choose which goes to which school like you said.

Columbia requries 3 sci letters (by sci they mean professors who have actually taught you in a lecture-based class). Moreover, they require those 3 letters submitted ONLY through AADSAS (not through a letter service, not directly by LOR writer). I emailed them specifically for this reason and that is what Dr. McManus told me.
I think Columbia is the only school that I know of that is so anal about letters