Desk for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOBGYN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people had or have a desk in their home during residency? Realistically, how much time does a resident spend at a desk when they're at home? I had one for the first two years of med school but not during rotations (partly because most of the time I was in a furnished studio with no room for a desk...) and I generally got along fine. I'm sure I could find room in my apartment for a desk if it's going to be used regularly, but I'd rather save my money if possible. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a desk thinking I'd use it for reading, bills, stuff. I don't think I've once sat at it, though. I more often use the kitchen table, or just the couch.

Same here. In my 4 years of obgyn residency, I never used my desk for studying. I also studied for my oral boards at my dining room table.

Never used my desk.

Come to think of it, I only used my dining table, like, twice. Generally I used my laptop on the couch, ate at the coffee table in front of the TV, etc.

Never used my desk.

Come to think of it, I only used my dining table, like, twice. Generally I used my laptop on the couch, ate at the coffee table in front of the TV, etc.

Yeah I was kinda debating not even getting a dining table since it's just going to be me but then I found awesome place mats so now I need a table. Money saving failure.

How many people had or have a desk in their home during residency? Realistically, how much time does a resident spend at a desk when they're at home? I had one for the first two years of med school but not during rotations (partly because most of the time I was in a furnished studio with no room for a desk...) and I generally got along fine. I'm sure I could find room in my apartment for a desk if it's going to be used regularly, but I'd rather save my money if possible. Thoughts?

If you need another flat place to collect crap in your apartment/house, a desk would be a great idea. That's all I used mine for. I gave it away a few years ago.

I'm currently at my desk.. but I have a desktop iMac so it's needed. I have an office-y area with a printer/scanner and a paper shredder too for bills, filling out forms (residency involves a lot of forms and signing)

I'm currently at my desk.. but I have a desktop iMac so it's needed. I have an office-y area with a printer/scanner and a paper shredder too for bills, filling out forms (residency involves a lot of forms and signing)
Me too. I have to have a desktop computer, so I've got a desk. I had my cousin build me a custom desk when he was short on work, and it turned out great. It's pretty useful for me.

I have an L-shaped corner desk. It's great for stacking all those journal articles I mean to read but haven't gotten around to yet. And for bills I haven't paid yet.

I have an L-shaped corner desk. It's great for stacking all those journal articles I mean to read but haven't gotten around to yet. And for bills I haven't paid yet.

:laugh: Do we all have this ever growing stack of journals we never get to?