Desperate for ADVICE! <help>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abernste

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a fourth year med student currently applying to PM&R residency programs. I "overapplied" to programs and am now trying to determine which interview offers to accept and which ones to turn down (can't afford to fly to all that I've been offered interviews).

I am wondering how the following programs rank in comparison to that at UMDNJ. (opinions please?):

1. U of Colorado
2. UT Southwestern Dallas
3. Boston University
4. St Vincents in NYC

I state "in comparison to UMDNJ" merely because I think it is the strongest spot I personally have been offered an interview. While I will not be able to match at a residency site as strong as Spaulding, I feel I do have the grades to match somewhere with a middle of the road rep, and would like not to end up in a PM&R residency program that is struggling- if such a thing exists (for example, heard that U of Colorado was a weak program??).

any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Thanks in advance :>

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Where have you been offered interviews? The reason that I ask is because most of the programs on your list pale in comparison to Kessler. When you say "UMDNJ" do you mean Kessler or the other program? The only program I interviewed at on your list was BU. I wasn't terribly impressed with the program at the time. I would wait until I heard from SRH before deciding whether or not to interview at BU. If you are offered an interview here, you could interview at BU around the same time. Our first interview date is the first week of December. From what I've heard, I think the stronger programs on your list would be Colorado and UTSW. Most of the applicants I met that were interested in the Colorado program either wanted to do Pediatric Rehab or they wanted to do the combined Peds/PM&R residency. One of our Peds attendings did the combined program at Colorado. She does gait analyses, EMGs, works in the Pediatric Ortho dept, and runs a Botox clinic.

I interviewed at Colorado and Southwestern last year. I agree with Stink that Colorado is the best of the ones you mentioned. I actually ranked it pretty high and was seriously considering to rank it first. I am interested in Peds rehab and it is probably one of the best for peds. If you are interested even a little in peds rehab, you must go to this interview!! The chairman of the department is a big name in peds rehab and they have a combined program. Good spinal cord injury and TBI at Craig Hospital. Outpatient is not that strong, but what I remember they are working on it.

Southwestern was a pretty good program as well. I remember the residents saying that its the most LAID BACK program in the South. The residents seemed very happy. Good outpatient exposure and probably the best place to go if you are interested at all in burn rehab. Lots of research and the program director is very resident friendly. If you are out of money, I would choose to go to Colorado first. I didnt interview at ST Vincents or BU, but from what I heard I didnt miss much.

Good Luck to you!!!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with all of the above. If you're comparing Kessler to the others on the list, there is no comparison---Kessler wins hands-down. That being said, UTSW is a good solid program. It's not a great shining star of PM&R like some other places, but it does offer all around good training. I know two residents there and they are very happy.

I agree about BU. Didn't interview at the other places. Unless BU has changed alot in the last 2 yrs I wouldn't bother. Consider stopping through if you are in Boston at SRH as it wouldn't hurt. Who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised.